PDA

View Full Version : General - rattle

robrome
Oct 3rd, 2007, 21:46
:frown2:hi my 940 sounds like a can of tacks when she starts up but under pressure it sounds like normal diesel some times when i pull off i get a cloud of black smoke but its not burning: oil in over 1800 miles: only a teacup full no moor, 600 of those where with caravan on back~ fuel is good too any ideas welcome

RoyMacDonald
Oct 4th, 2007, 18:28
:frown2:hi my 940 sounds like a can of tacks when she starts up but under pressure it sounds like normal diesel some times when i pull off i get a cloud of black smoke but its not burning: oil in over 1800 miles: only a teacup full no moor, 600 of those where with caravan on back~ fuel is good too any ideas welcome

Have you had the car long? It sounds perfectly normal to me. If you lift the bonnet when it starts up from cold it should sound like a group of demented blacksmiths. :)

robrome
Oct 4th, 2007, 20:06
hi no not that long about 6 weeks was like it when i got it as i said it seems to run OK am not much good with cars but am trying to learn; have changed fuel filter air filter oil+filter so i am trying as the wife says

jpliddy
Oct 4th, 2007, 20:58
i have had my 940 T.D.I 8 years it always sounds like that it may seem to get louder in the cold weather. i change the oil and filter every 5000 miles . i use just under a litre so i never need to top up . with care the brakes are easy to change remove them anually and clean them . change the glow plugs at 5 years dont by volvo or they will cost £90 . i got bocsh for £38 i think volvo use bosch in a volvo box . i hope to keep my 940 for ever. any other advice try peter milnes the 940 keeper by email he is very helpful . regards james liddy

RoyMacDonald
Oct 4th, 2007, 22:10
i have had my 940 T.D.I 8 years it always sounds like that it may seem to get louder in the cold weather. i change the oil and filter every 5000 miles . i use just under a litre so i never need to top up . with care the brakes are easy to change remove them anually and clean them . change the glow plugs at 5 years dont by volvo or they will cost £90 . i got bocsh for £38 i think volvo use bosch in a volvo box . i hope to keep my 940 for ever. any other advice try peter milnes the 940 keeper by email he is very helpful . regards james liddy

I had one set of glowplugs in 165,000 miles, and just one injector.

RoyMacDonald
Oct 4th, 2007, 22:15
Just to add the engine is an extended to 6 cylinder 4 cylinder Audi VW Golf engine and the design dates from 1985 the earliest small diesel engine so it's the very earliest technology

jor
Oct 4th, 2007, 23:30
Post 93 TD's came with hydraulic tappets, check advised every 15,000 miles if the car is older than this.
Can't say my L reg is particularly noisy from cold starts, it is particularly quiet on the motorway probably as Volvo put really thick insulation under the bonnet.
Check it was serviced with synthetic (non Halfords) and if not change it yourself if you plan on keeping the car long-term.
Mycoleptodiscus ran a fascinating blog on the d24 on volvoturbodiesel.blogspot.com
It's written from an American perspective (cheap spares etc) but definitely worth a look.

john