PDA

View Full Version : D5254T (to 2002, Audi) - Bleeding Diesel system

Gazmo
Oct 8th, 2007, 23:31
Hi new to the site and looking for help,Ive just changed the diesel fuel filter on my v70 its fitted with the 5 cylinder engine and have had problems with the starting,couldnt get any fuel through to the filter to begin with so filled it with diesel this helped and got the engine running so left it idling for 10 minutes no problem,started ok the rest of the day all ok,left over night and the thing was a night mare to start ,after 5 minutes of cranking it fired and was ok the rest of the day,this has now become standard practice over the last 3 days and i think it may be air in the system .Does any one know how to bleed the system,also only had the car for 2 weeks and there is no heater light on when starting, i put this down to the bulb as it did light on 2 occasions when it was cold and ive replaced the bulb,any help would be gratefully recieved,Gazmo:huepfen024:

Martin Cox
Oct 10th, 2007, 21:20
Can't help with the bleeding issue but the heater (or glow) plugs don't normally operate on this engine until the ambient temperature drops to about 5 Celsius. It may not yet have been cold enough for them to operate.

Hope this is of some help

Martin Cox

Paul Clifton
Oct 10th, 2007, 21:39
On these engines once they have been running no more bleeding of the system should be neccessary, they are self bleeding but you do need (as you have found out) to fill the new filter with fuel first.
If it is air in the sytem I would suggest you have an air leak into the system when at rest, suggest you re-check your filter connections you disturbed when renewing. As suggested I would not think it has been cold enough yet for the glow plugs to have been activated.

Paul.

Gazmo
Oct 10th, 2007, 22:27
cheers for that ,all the previous diesels ive had have a priming pump to pull the diesel through and then its 5 mins with a spanner to clear the rest of the system if its needed:Dancing_chief:

outnumbered
Oct 11th, 2007, 22:36
Hi new to the site and looking for help,Ive just changed the diesel fuel filter on my v70 its fitted with the 5 cylinder engine and have had problems with the starting,couldnt get any fuel through to the filter to begin with so filled it with diesel this helped and got the engine running so left it idling for 10 minutes no problem,started ok the rest of the day all ok,left over night and the thing was a night mare to start ,after 5 minutes of cranking it fired and was ok the rest of the day,this has now become standard practice over the last 3 days and i think it may be air in the system .Does any one know how to bleed the system,also only had the car for 2 weeks and there is no heater light on when starting, i put this down to the bulb as it did light on 2 occasions when it was cold and ive replaced the bulb,any help would be gratefully recieved,Gazmo:huepfen024:

hi
is the diesel back filling into the the tank when left for a long period from the filter, also have you the clear fuel pipe to the pump, if so can you see how much air is drawn in when on tickover.
mike
850 tdi
p box

outnumbered
Oct 11th, 2007, 22:49
cheers for that ,all the previous diesels ive had have a priming pump to pull the diesel through and then its 5 mins with a spanner to clear the rest of the system if its needed:Dancing_chief:

hi
the system is self bleed , on the new models you dont have to crack the fuel pipes to bleed the system, and if i am not mistaken your car has the high pressure system so for safety, please DONT TOUCH THE FUEL PIPES AS ITS HIGH PRESSURE. this will cause a lot of damage to you.hope that helps
mike
850 tdi

Gazmo
Oct 11th, 2007, 23:01
Dont know if its back filling and no i dont have the clear pipe,what happened was i could not get the filter out of its housing in situ as it appeared to be over tightened so the only option for me was to remove the complete housing with the filter attached took it into the garage and found when it was on the workbench that the central union was not part of the casting as i first thought and could be unscrewed the filter was not cross threaded as thought and removed easily,obviously i had disturbed the the copper washers on the fuel union and the o ring seal on the other pipes,as it was on a sunday i couldnt get any new washers but did have a spare o ring ,I anealed the copper washers and there did not appear to be any leaks oozing from the filter . i have ordered new washers and o ring from my dealer and will replace them to be on the safe side ,as the problem is still there

Gazmo
Oct 14th, 2007, 20:56
another day gone by and the car still needs loads of cranking to get it started even with the new o ring and copper washers ,think it may be back filling to the tank as the filter was empty when i changed the seals, tried to bleed the filter but got nothing then the thing started and has run ok all day we will see whatr tommorrow brings

outnumbered
Oct 15th, 2007, 16:41
another day gone by and the car still needs loads of cranking to get it started even with the new o ring and copper washers ,think it may be back filling to the tank as the filter was empty when i changed the seals, tried to bleed the filter but got nothing then the thing started and has run ok all day we will see whatr tommorrow brings

hi
double check all the connectors you have taken off, also check the leak of pipes at the injectors for cracks as a small crack in these will cause an air leak and the diesal to leak back into the tank. hope that helps
mike

Gazmo
Oct 15th, 2007, 19:26
Checked all the leak off pipes today and all seem ok,tried to bleed the filter and got nothing through so i filled the filter with fuel through the bleed bolt and it took 200ml and still took a few turns to start i let it run for 10 mins and checked the filter again and had to top it up with 150ml of fuel but its started and run ok all day.Could it be crap fuel causing the problem its just ive thought about when the problem started and ive only filled the tank prior to changing the filter and didnt use my usual filling station

outnumbered
Oct 15th, 2007, 21:09
Checked all the leak off pipes today and all seem ok,tried to bleed the filter and got nothing through so i filled the filter with fuel through the bleed bolt and it took 200ml and still took a few turns to start i let it run for 10 mins and checked the filter again and had to top it up with 150ml of fuel but its started and run ok all day.Could it be crap fuel causing the problem its just ive thought about when the problem started and ive only filled the tank prior to changing the filter and didnt use my usual filling station

hi
dont think its the crap fuel, its vacum related, there is possibly air geting into the system somewhere creating this problem , the filter isnt full enough for it to start the enguineso its draining back to the tank, i will ask my m8s at work for a possible soloution for you.
mike
850 tdi

CTCNetwork
Oct 15th, 2007, 21:35
Hi,

Not in the knowledge here but would it be fuel pump related??
Is there another in-line fuel filter?

Des. . . ;)

Gouldy
Dec 28th, 2009, 19:05
hi there, did you ever sort out this problem?

i am about to change my fuel filter as i am having bad starting problems, (hopefully getting the injectors leak tested tomorrow)

MIRJO
Jan 7th, 2010, 11:07
just to add to this problem...

changing the fuel filter or me was a real pig o the job , as i did all the usual stuff , filling with fuel, started the engine, but had uel starvation over 2500rpm, had air in the sistem, triple checked everything, only to find out a new filter had a hole
when the water drain valve thread insert was crimped in the factory, two of the teeth have made a hole in filter case where the air's been sucked

o course, it was a cheap stuff, so i bought something more serious