PDA

View Full Version : D5 (D5244T to 2005) - Diesel engine stutter when cold

pan1100
Oct 16th, 2007, 12:30
My D5 estate Nov 2002 36,000 miles has been serviced and now when pulling away first thing in morning there is no throttle response for a couple of seconds (very dangerous)and then its away as normal like a rocket,garage has rechecked diesel filter fitting and explains it sounds like a tiny air leak as they had to remove diesel heater as filter was very tight.The garage now propose at my expense to replace filter and heater as 1 unit because cannot buy seals separately.Unit costs £100
Does this seem reasonable or any ideas was OK before service.After initial start and stutter the car is fine for rest of day until left for a long period or overnight.
Can you buy seals for filter and heater from any source. Alan

outnumbered
Oct 17th, 2007, 17:23
My D5 estate Nov 2002 36,000 miles has been serviced and now when pulling away first thing in morning there is no throttle response for a couple of seconds (very dangerous)and then its away as normal like a rocket,garage has rechecked diesel filter fitting and explains it sounds like a tiny air leak as they had to remove diesel heater as filter was very tight.The garage now propose at my expense to replace filter and heater as 1 unit because cannot buy seals separately.Unit costs £100
Does this seem reasonable or any ideas was OK before service.After initial start and stutter the car is fine for rest of day until left for a long period or overnight.
Can you buy seals for filter and heater from any source. Alan

hi alan
are they charging you for labour, if so i would argue that point,was it a volvo garage that carried out the repairs?if not check with volvo first. hope that helps
mike

pan1100
Oct 17th, 2007, 19:44
No they are not charging me labour but cannot gaurantee the new unit will remedy fault.Not a Volvo garage but private garage only ,been doing solely Volvos for 20 years.

outnumbered
Oct 17th, 2007, 20:18
No they are not charging me labour but cannot gaurantee the new unit will remedy fault.Not a Volvo garage but private garage only ,been doing solely Volvos for 20 years.
hi
was the filter changed on the service if so the its down to the garage to rectify the fault if the fault wasent there before. did they change the o ring on the filter and was it nipped when the fuel filter was replaced. imho i cant see why you have to take all the unit off just to get the fuel filter off. if its tight they should be useing the special tool to take it off, by taking the whole unit off has caused problems maybe this we dont no. have you spoken to volvo to see if you can get spares??
hope that helps
mike
850 tdi

pan1100
Oct 18th, 2007, 14:37
Garage said they assumed filter was tightened with a filter wrench but is was last changed at Volvo dealer so unlikely.Seals not available on there own.Fault was not present prior to service and garage believes me.I think they have nicked the seal above the heater and not the filter one which is on the other side of heater.
This morning i let the car warm up for 2 to 3 minutes with little revs in between and the fault was not present which obviously shows fault is a pressure fault caused by air entering system overnight.
What special tool should i ask if garage used one.
Thank you for response i will keep you all informed.

tim2985
Oct 30th, 2007, 06:35
These symptoms are always due to poor compression when cold not burning the mix until the head is warm enough to assist the fuel burn - have you been through a flood because if you have sucked water in then one of your conrods could be bent slightly (very common) causing a lack of compression on that cylinder - you need to do a COLD compression check to eliminate this first....