PDA

View Full Version : D5 (D5244T to 2005) - Down on power........

Larson Trapp
Oct 23rd, 2007, 13:16
Hi, my first posting as a new member so bear with me please.
S60 D5 Auto, circa 2002, 85000 miles.
Problem is from cold only, if driven 'under load' i.e. approx 1/2 to 2/3rds throttle, up an incline, a message "engine service required" shows, the car apears to go into limp-home mode and fault code ecm6805 is recorded. (This does not happen if driven on light throttle through the warm up period). Switching off the engine extinguishes the message & restores performance. Once the engine is warmed through, and for the rest of the day there will be no problem. On the strength of said fault code, i have tried a new turbo controll valve with no joy. Any ideas please?

Andy
Oct 31st, 2007, 11:54
As discussed on T5D5, new intercooler has sorted mine. :)

Larson Trapp
Oct 31st, 2007, 15:34
Yeah, they are a bit prone to intercooler leaks but i cant help thinking i would have the problem ALL the time (not just through warm-up) if this were the case. Please keep an ear to the ground & let me know if anything strikes a chord. appreciate your interest.

Andy
Nov 1st, 2007, 11:55
Chord stuck!

Mine would occasionally bring up the 'engine service required' within 200 yards of leaving my house, admittedly as I accelerated up a dual carriageway. Engine would still have been cold, torque is addictive ;) my bad! Once I had read the message it would then not reappear until the next day. I guess it could have been throttle dependant, I don't always attack that bit of road with the same vigour. If I drove the car during the day, (engine not cold), then I would not get the message. Sounds very much like the trouble you are having...

At the start of the trouble I didn't feel any loss of performance. Strangely once the problem was identified I started to notice things weren't quite right. I accelerated up a motorway slip road, engine cold'ish, felt boost suddenly back off and the usual error message came up.

Since the new intercooler its back to its old self again, I'm happy :)

I'll PM you as well.

Hope that helps!

Andy AKA Redbrick