PDA

View Full Version : D5 (D5244T to 2005) - Sign of head gasket problem.

shiningliao
Nov 10th, 2007, 22:34
Hi,
I am just about to buy a Volvo S60 (2002 @ 120k miles). Examining the car shows the collant expansion tank have sign of a bit oil !!!!!

That is a sign of head gasket might be broken... is this correct?

I heard Volvo S60 should go much more than 120k before having such problem. Is this correct?

Should I forget about that car?

Appreciate any comment at here. Thanks.

John_C
Nov 11th, 2007, 11:37
Personally I'd walk away.

Cheers,
John

JIM C
Nov 11th, 2007, 12:01
Inclined to agree thats it would be a good idea to walk away and look for something as fault free as I can get. Impossible to tell if its just the head gasket or at worse a cracked headed. Costs thus are could be very variable depending on the fault.

CTCNetwork
Nov 11th, 2007, 14:18
Hi,

Yes, you would be better off walking.
Unless the price offered is so good as to cover you for an engine build and it is being sold by a Volvo dealer with a guarantee..

Plenty of other good condition cars available...

Des. . . ;)

shiningliao
Nov 11th, 2007, 20:28
Thanks for all the advise. Thanks.

The price of the car is good, but not good enough to fix the head gasket problem or else.

What I would like to learn from here is a bit of Volvo D5 diesel engine knowledge.

I told the garage that it seems they haven't done the service this car for long time because of the engine is very black. They told me that is normal for diesel engine. I wasn't really believe what they said at first..... but after, I learned it is true (by visit different garage and check different diesel cars) that diesel engine oil get balck very fast. It's normal.

For the oil sign in the coolant expansion tank, salesman told me that is normal as there are different type of coolant.

I see the coolant colour is dark blue.... is this type of coolant for diesel engine have such sympton?

Another thing is. I would like to hear the experience of everyone. Is Volvo S60 D5 a realiable car? I thought Volvo diesel engine can last something like 250k +... at least this is my impression. If this particular got head gasket problem, then Volvo seems not so robust as I previous thought.

Any comment on D5 engine experience and technical side will be great appreciated.

shiningliao
Nov 11th, 2007, 22:32
I have searched through the whole forum. I cannot see anyone discuss about D5 engine gaket issue. It seems D5 engine is quite good.

Some posts got diesel engine head gasket issue or cracked headed issue but these all non D5 engine.

I am going to visit Volvo dealer and ask...

JIM C
Nov 12th, 2007, 12:08
Best of luck. The D5 is a cracking car. Keep us posted.

RoyMacDonald
Nov 12th, 2007, 21:58
Thanks for all the advise. Thanks.

The price of the car is good, but not good enough to fix the head gasket problem or else.

What I would like to learn from here is a bit of Volvo D5 diesel engine knowledge.

I told the garage that it seems they haven't done the service this car for long time because of the engine is very black. They told me that is normal for diesel engine. I wasn't really believe what they said at first..... but after, I learned it is true (by visit different garage and check different diesel cars) that diesel engine oil get balck very fast. It's normal.

For the oil sign in the coolant expansion tank, salesman told me that is normal as there are different type of coolant.

I see the coolant colour is dark blue.... is this type of coolant for diesel engine have such sympton?

Another thing is. I would like to hear the experience of everyone. Is Volvo S60 D5 a realiable car? I thought Volvo diesel engine can last something like 250k +... at least this is my impression. If this particular got head gasket problem, then Volvo seems not so robust as I previous thought.

Any comment on D5 engine experience and technical side will be great appreciated.

It's not normal to have oil in the coolant, and Volvo only use one type of coolant in the diesels. I'd find another dealer who's not a liar.

The D5 is a reliable engine but like any make of car can suffer from from the occasional faulty component. There isn't a 100% fault free make of car on the planet.

I'd compare a few if your not used to the car and find one you feel 100% happy with. I drove about 6 of the same car before I chose one I was happy with.

Roy

John_C
Nov 13th, 2007, 18:02
The comment about the oil in a diesel getting dirty quickly is true though, every diesel I've had including a modern common rail one has had filthy oil shortly after a service.

Must admit I've never heard anyone trying to blame different types of coolant for oil residue in the expansion tank before, that's priceless (and, as others have already said, a lie)

Cheers,
John

shiningliao
Dec 1st, 2007, 23:33
Took car to Volvo dealer for the possible gasket problem check... result shows the coolant pressure is normal.

As for the oil in the coolant tank.... the most likely answer is.... some idiot put the oil into the coolant tank.:emoticon_U:

I've flushed out the all the coolant. It's clear. Probably been cleaned before. Just the sign still left in the coolant expansion tank. I am replacing the tank...:music-smiley-019:

RoyMacDonald
Dec 1st, 2007, 23:54
Took car to Volvo dealer for the possible gasket problem check... result shows the coolant pressure is normal.

As for the oil in the coolant tank.... the most likely answer is.... some idiot put the oil into the coolant tank.:emoticon_U:

I've flushed out the all the coolant. It's clear. Probably been cleaned before. Just the sign still left in the coolant expansion tank. I am replacing the tank...:music-smiley-019:

Don't want to pour rain on your parade, but my dealer told me for two years in multiple pressure tests the coolant pressure was normal, despite all the problems I had with the cooling sytem. It was only when the independant took the head off the truth came out. Did they test for exhaust by products in the coolant?

Roy

P.S. Did you ignore everyones advice and buy the car?

shiningliao
Dec 2nd, 2007, 09:11
P.S. Did you ignore everyones advice and buy the car?

I did... I know it's a bit risky...

Lots of situation cause me to made such unwise decision. I need a car very soon and I only like that particular colour and interior...etc.

Plus I had one Rover 414 in the past that the gasket problem force me to replace a used engine. The experience wasn't that horrible so I decide.. or I lost my mind...

shiningliao
Dec 2nd, 2007, 09:17
Don't want to pour rain on your parade, but my dealer told me for two years in multiple pressure tests the coolant pressure was normal, despite all the problems I had with the cooling sytem. It was only when the independant took the head off the truth came out. Did they test for exhaust by products in the coolant?

Roy

I think I read your post before I bought the car. Your car sympton is coolant over heating and pressure stay for too long.... I didn't see these sympton in this car.

Anyway, I am interested in your last question. Test the exhaust by products in the coolant.... Does Volvo dealer do this? Or is it done by the independant?

Thanks.

CTCNetwork
Dec 2nd, 2007, 13:32
Hi,
Anyway, I am interested in your last question. Test the exhaust by products in the coolant.... Does Volvo dealer do this? Or is it done by the independant?

Thanks.
This can be done by any good independent.
The test is for hydrocarbons..

Des. . . ;)

RoyMacDonald
Dec 2nd, 2007, 13:38
I think I read your post before I bought the car. Your car sympton is coolant over heating and pressure stay for too long.... I didn't see these sympton in this car.

Thanks.

Yes either should be able too. My main dealer said they had and there wern't any but I don't belive they did as when the independant took the head off after two years it had two large cracks by then.

I never had a problem with the coolant overheating so that must be some other person. It was pressure that was my problem that started as soon as the dealer cracked the head when they changed the coolant on a service. The system started springing leaks left right and center. These were all fixed over a period of time but the coolant level kept increasing, water sprayed from the expansion tank which also became dirty. I pointed the dirt out to the dealer but they still kept telling me everthing was OK. Eventually the expansion tank split under the pressure but they still kept tell me it was pressure testing OK. I took to an independant who said "The heads probably cracked" after I told them the symptoms, and they had the head off within half an hour and the two cracks were plain to see.

Not a big problem as you say. The big problem was getting the main dealer to diagnose it, which they never did.

I hope your belief that someone put oil in the expasion tank by mistake turns out to be the case.

All the best.
Roy

wise old monkey
Dec 2nd, 2007, 13:59
oh dear, some people ask for advice lots tell them to leave it walk away, then........................ they still buy it and now theres more problems.

ive found the worst people to buy a car from is the older generation, twice i have gone with my young family to look at cars brought them, then not even into a week of having them they turned out to be lemons, now i wont buy from old people.

sorry if this comes across a little biest.

shiningliao
Dec 2nd, 2007, 15:27
oh dear, some people ask for advice lots tell them to leave it walk away, then........................ they still buy it and now theres more problems.

I like to take a bit of risk.... :emoticon_U:

Well, risk normally means profit in it. Could be a lost as well, I admit. If I don't want to take risk, then I will go to the Volvo dealer get a approved used car with warranty which cost couple grands more... After all, I guess this is about each person's personality.

So far, there is no sign, no problem of head gaket or crack head issue. I am just on my way to clean those sign of oil in the expansion tank. I see the trace of people put oil into the coolant tank by mistake and trying to clean them up.... I trust Volvo dealer's diagnose result. (however, RoyMacDonald point out it ain't that trustworthy in his case.) So I go for it. So far, it's a good deal.

I have replced the coolant expansion tank and flushed out all the previous coolant. If the oil come from engine, then I should see the oil sign again from the new coolant expansion tank very soon.

I'll carry on to report what happen in the future.

To be continued...

Dec 2nd, 2007, 21:33
You can buy a product that you put into you expansion tank them run the engine for a while & if it changes colour then you have a problem & if it doesn't then at least you know there is no oil or gas getting into the cooling system to create the pressure. Not sure of the name but it is available from motor factors at about £5.

RoyMacDonald
Dec 2nd, 2007, 22:50
You can buy a product that you put into you expansion tank them run the engine for a while & if it changes colour then you have a problem & if it doesn't then at least you know there is no oil or gas getting into the cooling system to create the pressure. Not sure of the name but it is available from motor factors at about £5.

Think you need more than just the fluid.

Could try this.....

http://uk.three.ebid.net/perl/auction.cgi?auction=1196008697-17953-0&mo=auction&from=froogle

Roy

shiningliao
Dec 3rd, 2007, 14:49
Thanks, RoyMacDonald.

I found the post that I had read before. It's not your post but you helped the guy quite much over there. That's why I mistaken as your own post.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=46942

Just curious, is that cracked heads happened on your 2003 D5 enging?

Cheers,

RoyMacDonald
Dec 3rd, 2007, 15:57
Thanks, RoyMacDonald.

I found the post that I had read before. It's not your post but you helped the guy quite much over there. That's why I mistaken as your own post.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=46942

Just curious, is that cracked heads happened on your 2003 D5 enging?

Cheers,

No... the old 2.4 Audi/VW in the 940 TD.

Roy

shiningliao
Dec 8th, 2007, 13:31
Think you need more than just the fluid.

Could try this.....

http://uk.three.ebid.net/perl/auction.cgi?auction=1196008697-17953-0&mo=auction&from=froogle

Roy

I bought this item and tried it. Engine is good!!!
http://six.ebid.net/upload_big/2/9/8/1196009275-24365-0.jpg

No oil sign at all after I replaced the coolant expansion tank.

No extreme pressure in the cooling system after clear out the air lock.:music-smiley-019:

RoyMacDonald
Dec 9th, 2007, 00:25
Pleased to hear it.

Roy

shiningliao
Dec 10th, 2007, 16:53
I still have plenty of test fluid. Anyone want to test on your vehicle.... just send a private message to me.

By the way, I am in Southamton.