PDA

View Full Version : D5254T (to 2002, Audi) - What would cause this noise?

BlackBeast
Nov 16th, 2007, 16:00
The car has a slight tap on idle from the top end, once engine revs reach 2000rpm the noise disapears. What would cause this noise and is it anything serious?

The engine has done 118k miles.

niloc
Nov 16th, 2007, 16:14
The car has a slight tap on idle from the top end, once engine revs reach 2000rpm the noise disapears. What would cause this noise and is it anything serious?

Slight tap on idle - once every revolution? Sounds like a tappet.

BB, meet in swansea end of this month - details will be posted in the usual places...

BlackBeast
Nov 17th, 2007, 00:32
Slight tap on idle - once every revolution? Sounds like a tappet.

BB, meet in swansea end of this month - details will be posted in the usual places...

Ive no idea if its once every revolution. Thats all the details i have on the problem. If it is a tappet, is there any easy fix? Oil change? Thinner oil? Rev the bugger hard?

Yep, il be there :)

Clan
Nov 17th, 2007, 09:11

The engine has done 118k miles.It could well be the Vacuum pump/Push rod .. try removing the push rod and trying it without ....

Gazmo
Nov 17th, 2007, 20:57
Excuse the ignorance but where is the vacuum pump on these engines as ive got a similar noise and thought it was a tappet

Clan
Nov 17th, 2007, 21:24
it is the alloy casting facing you when you look at the engine it is in line with the middle cylinder mounted on the head

phasesonix
Nov 27th, 2007, 21:00

hi,

I have the exact same problem,And mine has also done 118k.

When you let the revs drop does it it idle roughly around 1500 RPM?

Is the tapping intermittent?

Have you managed to fix it?

Please let me know.

Thanks,loz

mmax
Jan 9th, 2008, 23:27
when is noise push brake pedal 3 - 4 times. If noise is gone - req. vacuum pump + shaft.

The cheapest is on www.autoteile-shopping.de

mmax

bertuk
Mar 12th, 2010, 21:02
same on mine, its common on these older audi lumps so i was informed by a top volvo guy today, the spring in the vacum pump weakens over time and ive been told to stretch it abit and replace hopefully resolve the tapping, will let you know on sunday when i get the spanners out to remove the power steering pump bracket might as well have alook at the vacume pump while im under the bonnet

bertuk
Mar 15th, 2010, 09:09
it is the vacume pump on my tdi checked it out yesterday when i was changing the aircon,power steering, alternator bracket what a job got no fingers left, 9 out of ten it sounds like your vac pump ,make sure you have a midget to get at the lower nut :thumbs_up:

Terry B-W
Mar 22nd, 2010, 22:32
My car (V40 1.9D) has just developed the same problem, it sounds like a load of ball bearings in a tin can rolling down an uneven road, there is no pattern to the noise at all, i'm getting lots of strange looks though when i'm stopped at lights.
Is it definitely not the engine on its last legs then, if it is the vac pump, where do i start and how easy is it to sort out, it would help if i knew where the pump is actually located or what it looks like, i will try the pressing the brakes hard method tomorrow just to see if that makes any change to the noise, at the minute my best remedy is to just turn the radio up.
Will this get worse and will i end up damaging anything else if i dont fix it ?

I have just gone over 128000 miles on the clock

weedeno belfast
Nov 9th, 2012, 13:10
guys this is what happens to them
http://www.ms-motor-service.com/content2.asp?area=hauptmenue&site=msidownload&cls=02 its a reall good discription

keithC70
Nov 10th, 2012, 08:01
Come on now guys, use the search button.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=94961

This is what I did earlier.