PDA

View Full Version : D24TIC - project: Oil pressure Priming 'button'

monkeh
Nov 22nd, 2007, 02:23
Yes this is a Duplicate for the oil filter, I posted it by accident!
Im working on a 'Priming Button'
Push it and it kils the Glow plug relay/Engine control
Providing the batterys up to standard, A 5 second Push'n'hold before you start the car, should bring oil pressure up for the first start of the day.
After changing the oil, and 'priming' the car on saturday it took 45 seconds to bring the oil pressure up to put the light out on the dash!

I should post pics and step by steps for the inexpierienced owner. Hopefully By next week.

DLM48
Nov 22nd, 2007, 12:02
cant wait to see what you have been up to - did you see my post on automatic engine pre lubers?

hawaiianblue
Nov 25th, 2007, 13:51
Push it and it kils the Glow plug relay/Engine control

Engine control? What engine control? the fueling is mechanical?

All you need to do it bridge the contacts on the starter solenoid with the key at O and the engine will crank.

I dont see there being a lot of point though, you're still cranking the engine with low oil pressure whether the engine is running or not. Granted with the engine running its turning faster, but then so is the oil pump to match it.

The only practical way to do this would be with an electric oil pump driven by the glowplug relay at start up.

Which ever you used though, the engine then has to work harder to recharge the battery.....

Clan
Nov 25th, 2007, 14:02
you probably have an air leak on the oil pick up pipe in the sump , 45 seconds is far too long , no more than 2 seconds is normal when doing a filter and oil change ...

DLM48
Nov 25th, 2007, 15:52
Engine control? What engine control? the fueling is mechanical?

All you need to do it bridge the contacts on the starter solenoid with the key at O and the engine will crank.

I dont see there being a lot of point though, you're still cranking the engine with low oil pressure whether the engine is running or not. Granted with the engine running its turning faster, but then so is the oil pump to match it.

The only practical way to do this would be with an electric oil pump driven by the glowplug relay at start up.

Which ever you used though, the engine then has to work harder to recharge the battery.....

i suspect this is a push button that kills the glow plug circuit and i assume starts an electric pump to build up the oil pressure BEFORE you start the engine - planning on doing something very similar myself a Sureflow 45 PSI pump uses about 4 amps so is hardly going to seriously discharge the battery and this is NOT the only way to do this - google engine pre lubers or read my post with links on the oil filter thread

DLM48
Nov 25th, 2007, 15:55
you probably have an air leak on the oil pick up pipe in the sump , 45 seconds is far too long , no more than 2 seconds is normal when doing a filter and oil change ...

i dont think you read the post properly this is some other device that is taking 45 seconds to build up the oil pressure not the engine turning over

hawaiianblue
Nov 25th, 2007, 18:08
i suspect this is a push button that kills the glow plug circuit and i assume starts an electric pump to build up the oil pressure BEFORE you start the engine - planning on doing something very similar myself a Sureflow 45 PSI pump uses about 4 amps so is hardly going to seriously discharge the battery and this is NOT the only way to do this - google engine pre lubers or read my post with links on the oil filter thread

There's no need to kill the glow plug circuit though, use the glow plug circuit to activate the electric pump, that way it operates the primer when the engine is cold, but doesnt when it's already warm (when you dont really need it primed)

I still think it's a pointless excercise, i mean a well maintained example of these engines is capable of at least 250'000 miles, i cant honestly see that pre-lubricating the engine before start is going to make a fat lot of difference over using good quality oil and maintaining the car properly.

I'm sorry if this is NOT the only way to do this, seems like i ****ED you OFF by voicing my opinion. Well never mind, I did say this was the only 'practical' way of doing it, sure there are loads of ways you could build up the oil pressure prior to starting, but they would all be a lot more involved - less practical.

hawaiianblue
Nov 25th, 2007, 18:10
i dont think you read the post properly this is some other device that is taking 45 seconds to build up the oil pressure not the engine turning over

Well i read it the same as clan, it took 45sec to build up oil pressure after an oil change, so he's thinking of rigging up a system to build up the pressure before it starts. Either way 45 sec is still too long.

DLM48
Nov 25th, 2007, 18:54
There's no need to kill the glow plug circuit though, use the glow plug circuit to activate the electric pump, that way it operates the primer when the engine is cold, but doesnt when it's already warm (when you dont really need it primed)

I still think it's a pointless excercise, i mean a well maintained example of these engines is capable of at least 250'000 miles, i cant honestly see that pre-lubricating the engine before start is going to make a fat lot of difference over using good quality oil and maintaining the car properly.

I'm sorry if this is NOT the only way to do this, seems like i ****ED you OFF by voicing my opinion. Well never mind, I did say this was the only 'practical' way of doing it, sure there are loads of ways you could build up the oil pressure prior to starting, but they would all be a lot more involved - less practical.

Peeed off i am not - however i repeat this is not the only practical way of doing this - have a look at the links i posted - these engines have a known fault with the oil pick up and the lubrication of the cam shaft i think a pre lubrication device is a good idea you dont that is probably why i will fit one and you wont. Even using the best oil in a cold start situation you are going to have oil starved bearings and components and with this long oil pick up the time taken to get the oil pressure up is excessive. The fact that these engines last so long is related to the fact that they are not producing masses of power and that the are lightly stressed. Using a pre luber can only help to increase the working life of these engines. If or when i fit a pre luber i will want it to work every time i start the engine so connecting into the glow plug circuit is not how i would connect it and from what was posted that circuit would not give a long enough time interval to ensure that full working pressure was obtained before starting the engine.

DLM48
Nov 25th, 2007, 19:10
Well i read it the same as clan, it took 45sec to build up oil pressure after an oil change, so he's thinking of rigging up a system to build up the pressure before it starts. Either way 45 sec is still too long.

well there you go - i read it another way..............probably because i had already posted a few links about pre lubers - for sure i would not be at all happy if it really took 45 seconds with the engine running to put the oil pressure switch/lamp out after an oil change but here we are seeing the problem with the very long pick up tube and the high mounted oil pump that these engines have. Surely the only way to have the engine cranking (and not starting) to raise the oil pressure would be to activate the engine stop control thereby stopping the injection pump and the injectors from operating even then there may be a residual 'mixture' in the induction system that could cause the engine to fire even temporary somewhat defeating the whole idea.

RoyMacDonald
Nov 25th, 2007, 22:01

Try this site for some brilliant info on pre-lubers. There's a brilliant one that only has one moving part and gives instant oil pressure as soon as you turn on the ignition, and one that is programable to circulate oil for 30 sec or so before you start the engine. Also you can programe it to circulate oil for a timed interval after you stop thus giving protection to the turbo when it's at it's most vunerable. i.e. very hot with out any oil to protect it.

http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

Roy

P.S. It's a long way down the page.

DLM48
Nov 26th, 2007, 10:46
great post and very interesting site - i guess i should post these links again

http://prelube.com/powrlube500.html
http://www.engineprelube.com
http://www.king-cart.com/cgi-bin/car...ct_match=exact
http://www.masterlube.net/shop/default.asp