PDA

View Full Version : D19 - S40/V40 to 2004 - Power Loss On S40 Diesel

dannyboy_turbo
Nov 24th, 2007, 22:29
Hi everyone. I'm a newbie here and i'm looking for a bit of advice. I've just bought a S40 diesel (115bhp) last week and it seems to occassionally lose power i'll put my foot to the floor and it makes no difference and car starts to slow - no major clouds of smoke that i can see. I've had a quick read about and seen that egr valve is a possible culprit?! is this likely, i'm worried about it being something major (diesel pump etc).
any suggestions appreciated.

cheers

Dan

dannyboy_turbo
Nov 25th, 2007, 14:47
to add a bit more info i've also noticed it cures itself sometimes if it doesn't then switching engine off then on sorts it too.

JIM C
Nov 25th, 2007, 14:57
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Hope you get the technical advice your after.

outnumbered
Nov 26th, 2007, 19:58
to add a bit more info i've also noticed it cures itself sometimes if it doesn't then switching engine off then on sorts it too.

hi dan
welcome to the forum, first check all vac pipes and inter cooler pipes,clean and check the maf,also for about £30 you can have the car hooked up for a full diagnostic readout to see what the car is doing.also have the codes read to see if there are any dtcs stored. when was it last serviced, and timing belts and pump belts.
hope that helps
mike
850 tdi
p box

dannyboy_turbo
Nov 26th, 2007, 22:49
thanks for the reply. well the cars in the garage at the min getting an air con pump fitted as it was missing?!!? and because of this the aux belt was routed incorrectly and all kinds of tensioner issues so the garage say it could possibly be the belt slipping they are replacing tensioners and aux belt as they see fit once pump is on. fingers crossed!

dannyboy_turbo
Dec 2nd, 2007, 23:52
just incase anyone was keeping an eye on this thread , i had the belt fitted correctly on ce the air con pump was on then i noticed the problem still occuring so i decided to whip off the engine cover and have a look about and saw a pipe and adjacent housing area (oil breather kind of thing) were very loose and on movement oil /ming was leaking out of it and i think probably causing the issue. seems ok upto now (touch wood). worth checking yours if it does the same.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/daniel_davison/dieselengine.jpg

cheers
DAN

tfb
Dec 3rd, 2007, 09:32
Wow! I wish my engine looked as clean as that! ;)

TFB

outnumbered
Dec 3rd, 2007, 15:43
just incase anyone was keeping an eye on this thread , i had the belt fitted correctly on ce the air con pump was on then i noticed the problem still occuring so i decided to whip off the engine cover and have a look about and saw a pipe and adjacent housing area (oil breather kind of thing) were very loose and on movement oil /ming was leaking out of it and i think probably causing the issue. seems ok upto now (touch wood). worth checking yours if it does the same.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/daniel_davison/dieselengine.jpg

cheers
DAN

hi dan
glad you may have it sorted a little pokeing around works wonders lol, oops dont tell the missus
mike

gazviv
Jan 13th, 2011, 16:16
Hi Dan, I'm new to the Forum, and my S40 diesel is doing what yours did - big loss of power, will tickover and rev smoothly but slowly up to about 3000rpm then nothing more. Did you ever get to the bottom of the problem??? Was is simply a lose pipe?
Cheers,
Gary

Biotoxic
Jan 16th, 2011, 00:53
Dannyboy.... if the belt slips.. you can hear that, it makes squeaky sound until you get some speed....

CHECK AND CLEAN EGR VALVE as well ;) you will notice a difference.
how to do it you can see in my post, some steps doesn't need to be followed
http://volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=108558
EGR valve is at Nr. 7 at my list.
And check if you have oil in there, I lost my power because of that, had to push engine hard to get that oil off the egr valve, or just remove again and clean it off the oil and soot.