PDA

View Full Version : General - Kwik Fit Mobil1?

flint
Nov 29th, 2007, 00:04
Hi
Just bought an 02 S60 D5 SE with 56K on clock.
Have heard that Kwik Fit do cheap oil changes using Mobil1 so went along to speak to a guy in KF.
The Mob1 oil on ther computer is recommended upgrade oil for the car over and above a standard semi syn. It meets the required ACEA B4 stipulated in the cars hanbdbook and definately is the real deal supplied in silver 45 gal drums. The only reservation I have about going for it is that its not Mob1 diesel. They obviously buy the standard Mob1 in bulk and use it in both petrol and diesel cars. As this oil is the non deisel Mob1 variety would it be ok for my S60 D5?
Anyone with any info on this as the oil/filter changes at KF are far cheaper than anything you could do yourself using full syn. £35!
Im planning on changing the oil every 6K.
Would this be ok?
What viscosity would be best?

RoyMacDonald
Nov 29th, 2007, 00:28
Hi
Have heard that Kwik Fit do cheap oil changes using Mobil1 so went along to speak to a guy in KF.
The Mob1 oil on ther computer is recommended upgrade oil for the car over and above a standard semi syn. It meets the required ACEA B4 stipulated in the cars hanbdbook and definately is the real deal supplied in silver 45 gal drums. The only reservation I have about going for it is that its not Mob1 diesel. They obviously buy the standard Mob1 in bulk and use it in both petrol and diesel cars. As this oil is the non deisel Mob1 variety would it be ok for my S60 D5?
Anyone with any info on this as the oil/filter changes at KF are far cheaper than anything you could do yourself using full syn. £35!
Would this be ok?

Modern diesels all (including your D5) seem to recommend duel petrol/diesel oils. Standard ? Mobil 1 isn't a bad oil but it's not the best either, Mobil themselves and other several other manufacturers make even better ones now.

My reservation about KF would be how do they remove the oil? These cheap oil change guys often use a vacum type machine and suck it out through the oil filler. Very bad practice in my opinion as the dirtiest oil from the sump is going to be pulled up into the body of the engine and some dirty oil is going to be left behind. I'd insist on them doing it the proper way if it was my engine, unless you don't plan to keep it long that is.

All the best.
Roy

JIM C
Nov 29th, 2007, 04:47
I never new that Kwik Fit still did oil changes as it is such along time since I was in any of there branches. I remember years ago it was almost as cheap to get them to change the oil and filter as it was at home.

hawaiianblue
Nov 29th, 2007, 17:04
I beleive most modern synthetic oils are dual use, with older technology oils the diesel variant was slightly thicker to cope with the extra heat, it also had more detergent in it.

The detergent does no harm to petrol engines, so they just leave it in the petrol oils. Providing the oil meets or exceeds the correct AECA rating then it's fine.

Most of the vacume extraction systems i've seen suck the oil from the dipstick tube, which goes straight to the sump. But personally i prefer to drain the oil, this tends to wash out any swarf etc thats left in the sump, but saying that there shouldnt be a lot of muck left in the bottom of a good engine.

It is usually really cheap to get an oil and filter changed at one of the fast fit centres, they buy the oil in 50gal drums, so it only costs them about £2 a litre at most.

outnumbered
Nov 29th, 2007, 18:01
Hi
Would this be ok?
hi
TBH for what it costs for the extra pennies i would go with whats recommended i use 10- 40 in mine and replace it every 8 months, but then again i plan to keep my 850 tdi till it drops.
mike
850 tdi
p box fitted

Viper_7
Nov 29th, 2007, 18:55
My tip of the day is to replace the sump plug after draining before putting the new oil in......

Yes have done that before..... :speechless-smiley-6

RoyMacDonald
Nov 29th, 2007, 20:41
My tip of the day is to use a reusable filter magnet to get extra crud out of the oil. They're on special offer at the moment. See....

http://www.agriemach.com/default.php?cPath=0_46&osCsid=0acfab92e6fef511c4cea09a061fd6ff

Roy

BillB
Nov 30th, 2007, 15:19
I use Castrol GTD Magnatec in the V70 Tdi (every 10k) with Volvo filters. Regards.

Sid60ish
Dec 20th, 2007, 17:42
Hi
Would this be ok?

There isn't just one flavour of Mobil 1, so which particular one are KF selling ?

RoyMacDonald
Dec 20th, 2007, 23:19
An update on my tip about the reusable filter magnet....It won't fit on a D5 filter as it's aluminium, not steel, unfortunatly. So mine will have to go on the Defender not the XC90.:emoticon_U:

Roy

flint
Dec 23rd, 2007, 18:02
Mob1 from KF is 0W40 but they do other viscosities.

TicklyT
Dec 23rd, 2007, 19:52
An update on my tip about the reusable filter magnet....It won't fit on a D5 filter as it's aluminium, not steel, unfortunatly. So mine will have to go on the Defender not the XC90.:emoticon_U:

Roy
You could probably fix it with cable ties or similar. An aluminium shell shouldn't stop it working, it's just that magnets won't cling to the ally.

(If they do, then there must be a heck of a lot of swarf in the filter:swoon:)

Mind you, it does remind me of sending the apprentice down to the stores to borrow the brass magnet

angmarwitch
Dec 24th, 2007, 09:11
Mind you, it does remind me of sending the apprentice down to the stores to borrow the brass magnet

And the "long stand" :)

Clan
Dec 24th, 2007, 09:23
Would this be ok?

Volvo recommend 0w/30
if you are using synthetic which is all about quality and long life why change it at such a short interval as 6000 miles ?? It is throwing good money away when in theory it should last at least the 12000 miles ( 18000 miles after 2006 ) even in a Diesel .... I will buy your old oil if you change it at 6000 miles :-)