PDA

View Full Version : D24TIC - Vw Oil Filter Any Good On These?

Singing Bird
Nov 29th, 2007, 10:31
I don't have a Volvo Dealer near me, so, can I use a VW oil filter in me 940TD 1996? I hear it's a VW engine?

Love SB x

:animal-smiley-037:

JIM C
Nov 29th, 2007, 10:58
You could buy a quality oil filter from a local motor factors.

DLM48
Nov 29th, 2007, 13:35

NOOOOOOOOOOO you need to use the correct filter on these engines MANN or VOLVO i would expect VW to be fine though - needs the non return valve in the filter so i am told. Do have a read on the Diesel forum

JIM C
Nov 29th, 2007, 13:51
My local motor factor supplies MANN filters and thats what I use on my wifes car. I should have stated what I meant by quality ie not Fram.
Thanks

hawaiianblue
Nov 29th, 2007, 16:56
The engine is indeed made by VW for volvo, have a look around and you'll see VW-Audi logos on everything.

Both Volvo and VW buy their oil filters from MANN, they both use the same filter.
GSF also stock MANN filters and will probably be cheaper than VW/Volvo

RoyMacDonald
Nov 30th, 2007, 02:13
I don't have a Volvo Dealer near me, so, can I use a VW oil filter in me 940TD 1996? I hear it's a VW engine?

Love SB x

:animal-smiley-037:

Why not by one on-line from Nordic?

monkeh
Nov 30th, 2007, 10:33
Volvo and Mann Filters both have the non return valve on them. Fram Doesnt have the valve so you have a long lag time before oil pressure picks up and that light goes out on the dash.
Being as it took 25 seconds nearly to prime the filter when I changed it. It will take at least half the time to get the pressure up from one with no valve.

Clan
Nov 30th, 2007, 10:44

I don't think local factors sell quality goods of any description ...

JIM C
Nov 30th, 2007, 10:56
I can purchase Mann filters at mine.

Singing Bird
Dec 1st, 2007, 10:14
Great news!!!!!
I got meself a genuine Volvo oil filter yesterday night:) I'm so happy I could sing a song about lovely badgers or even a talking fish called Phillip.
Thank you all for your lovely advice:) You are all gorgeous!

Love SB x

hawaiianblue
Dec 1st, 2007, 13:42
I don't think local factors sell quality goods of any description ...

They do around here.

hawaiianblue
Dec 1st, 2007, 13:43
Volvo and Mann Filters both have the non return valve on them. Fram Doesnt have the valve so you have a long lag time before oil pressure picks up and that light goes out on the dash.
Being as it took 25 seconds nearly to prime the filter when I changed it. It will take at least half the time to get the pressure up from one with no valve.

See i have a fram one on mine, and the light goes out almost instantly......