PDA

View Full Version : D24 - D24T cam belt change - '91 940 auto

Galaxie390
Dec 2nd, 2007, 21:09
Hi folks,

I'm just preparing mentally to tackle a new cam belt, I've a few questions:

1) How do you hold the crank still while undoing the belt pulley(250ftlbs with loctite) bolt?

2) Timing marks are on the pulley and cover/ block. Line up for TDC no1?

3) The rear pump drive belt. I assume the timing of this belt is also critical? Bosch pumps I've worked on before use a pin through the IP pulley to body of the pump.

4) What's the correct belt tension? Any tips?

I've changed a few diesel belts before, but just like to prepare well each time. It takes me a good few hours as I take my time!

Thank you for everyone's patience with stupid questions.

Bye for now,

Rich:)

tfb
Dec 2nd, 2007, 21:56
I can confirm it is a real sod to change it having changed mine very recently with the help of fellow forum member JOR.

We made up a tool from some Uni-strut and big bolts to hold the crank which did the trick, and as for the torque it's only 250lb/ft IF you are using the proper tool between the torque wrench and the pulley, if the torque wrench is directly on the the pulley then it's about 450 lb/ft (have to check the manual for the exact figure).

Yep, there is a little hole on the bell-housing, below the pump for the timing marks. Mine was stamped with an 0 and a line for TDC. I would recommend getting a wire brush on it first and then a bit of tippex as it was hard to see.

There's a hole in the pulley and the IP for a locking pin to go in, I have one you can borrow if you're anywhere near Cambrdigeshire or Canary Wharf, East London.

Belt shouldn't be too tight, I didn't change the tensioner at the same time as Euro Car Parts had sent me the wrong one.

Have a look at http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=46590 for some pics of the tool.

Regards
TFB

Galaxie390
Dec 5th, 2007, 14:17
Hi TFB,

Thanks for the offer of the locking pin, but I'm just outside Dublin. You could always drop it over for a weekend:) !!!!

I'd read your post many many times, trying to get my head round it.

How did you hold the crank still while you hung off the bar to undo/ do the crank bolt?

Is there enough room to insert the locking pin into the pump? There's not a lot of space between the bulkhead and the IP.

Thank you for you info by the way, all the best.

Rich

craig8661
Dec 5th, 2007, 17:48
would a air gun remove the bolt out the bottem pully ?

tfb
Dec 5th, 2007, 18:11
air gun? doubt it. We did try a 18V dewalt bettery impact driver with no effect whatsover and they generate 300NM of torque I believe.

The pin is easy to fit in, even for my banana fingers!, so no worries there

I've attached a picture of the pulley (ignore the lines, they were for bits to be measured), and the two M12 bolts on the bottom of our tool engaged on the large squareish lugs inside the pulley. The two bits of unistrut were spaced just far enough apart at the M12 bolts to allow the extension bar of the socket set to pass through. The tool barely held up to the job to be truthful. When we had finsihed the M12 bolts were bent at quite an angle.

Basicly it was brute force and ignorance, one of us holding the tool with the other pulling/pushing a 24" breaker bar with a short extension to a 27mm socket.

I have had it in the back of mind to see if I can get a tool made up, but I have been so busy with work that I haven't had time to make enquiries.

A trip to Ireland? :)....Hmmm...don't think the Mrs would allow me back there, I have very little recollection of the last time I went there, and I was in the dog house for weeks!

Regards

TFB

jor
Dec 5th, 2007, 19:54
Ha! Sounds like a great trip, and I hope it was worth the subsequent grief.
Having watched someone with mechanical experience improvising a tool I think that unless you have machine shop facilities to hand it isn't worth trying to follow tfb's lead. Bite the bullet and spend £40 on the tool, if your local volvo place won't sell you one I'll get it for you. You are also welcome to borrow mine if you wish as I'll be back in the aul sod shortly, but can't give precise dates. Post would be about £10 as it's a really solid piece of steel and having waited so long to get one it'd be a shame for it to go missing.
I'm going to try my belt as well now so we can swap notes. Read the account as suggested above and use the manual on k-jet.org if you haven't got one. Tfb didn't have a pin to lock the pump btw, just checked that the timing marks were in the correct position.

john

tfb
Dec 5th, 2007, 20:20
yep, luckily a previous owner had marked up the front cam pulley, so working under the assumption the timing was correct to start with we didn't need to lock off the cam or the pump.

Jor
If you want a hand with your belt, let me know and I'll be happy to lend a hand if I can. Just got a nice calibrated Britool torque wrench from work - especialy for the next belt change!

Regards
TFB

jor
Dec 5th, 2007, 22:31
Thanks tfb, I may take you up on your kind offer - will have a good poke round on the spare first to see how I get on!

john

Galaxie390
Jan 9th, 2008, 17:06
Hi Guys,

Happy New Year to you all.

Sorry for the delay, but would like to say thank very much for the info. I've yet to attempt it 'cus....

a) Been busy travelling back home to Brum and to the in-laws in Cork over CHristmas
b) It's too cold & wet
c) I'm too chicken to start, but won't admit it just yet!! ; )

Thanks again folks.

All the best,

Rich

jor
Jan 9th, 2008, 17:18
I'll hopefully be in Dublin between Feb 8th-11th and can bring the bolt tool if you want to have a go then. If you do be sure to have decided on what other bits you wish to change - some do the water pump and tensioner at the same time.

john

Galaxie390
Jan 28th, 2008, 22:53
Hi John,

Sorry for not replying for so long. Thank you very very much for your kind offer of a loan of the crank locking tool. :thumbs_up:
However, I'll have to pass that weekend as I'm doing my pre-marriage course before I get married in March (to a lovely Cork lass!)

Thanks again John, it's really appreciated. When I get around to it would there be any chance of some photos and dimensions and I can make one up at work.

Bye for now,

Rich

jor
Jan 30th, 2008, 13:29
Congrats on your news Rich and glad to hear that they are putting you through the hoops first.
Have a look at volvo tool 5187, which is a substantial lump at 1kg of steel!
If you fancy having a go at fabrication I'll take more detailed measurements, but the basic ones are for the circular top: inner D=51.5, outer D=77.5mm. The teeth are 15 deep and 7 in thickness, 21mm wide at the inner point and 26 at the outer. They are 19mm apart. If you lay a staight edge at the end of one of the teeth it passes through the centre of the circle and meets the edge of the tooth opposite. The tool fits quite snugly in the centre of the crank pulley and the extremity catches the fan plate mount.
I go back a couple of times a year or you can get someone to collect it from Wembley if you don't fancy getting out the welder.

john

Galaxie390
Feb 8th, 2008, 09:26
Hi John,

Thank you very much for that. Much appreciated!!

Ooooh, 5 weeks to go before M-day! Nervous, me? oh yeah you bet.

Bye for now,

Rich