PDA

View Full Version : D24TIC - Leaking injector pipe

tfb
Jan 21st, 2008, 22:18
Driving into work this evening and about half way down the M11 I could feel the car lose power, not much but noticable as I was going uphill. By the time I had got to London I had gone through half a tank of fuel as well!.
I popped the bonnet in the car park and found the engine bay covered in a mixture of diesel/SVO and a regular spurt of fuel coming out of the top of number 3 injector.
After turning the engine off and taking a closer look there is a hairline fracture in the pipe just by the locking nut. The pipe was probably weakened by me pulling it off and on repeatedly while when I was having the disater of the dodgy injector washers and then with a few more thousand miles of vibration it decided to give up the ghost!
Luckily I have a spare set of pipes....but they are at home and 90 miles away!. Can I be bothered to wait 4hrs for the RAC to tow me home or shall I just drive it and stop at every fuel station on the way home??. Think I'll drive!

Regards

TFB

tfb
Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:28
10 minutes to fit the replacement pipe and then 3 hours to jetwash the engine bar and the driveway :(

By the time I had got home in the early hours of the morning the injector pipe had totaly snapped off. The fuel consumptio wasn't as bad as I had feared in the end, about 20 litres for 90 miles.

Regards

TFB

jor
Jan 22nd, 2008, 20:32
Glad you made it without the help of the fifth emergency service.
I didn't realize how fragile these pipes were until I tried disconnecting them fron the pump, managing to mangle two in the process.
Smart move having spares to hand!

john

craig8661
Jan 22nd, 2008, 20:51
i keep the spare set of injector pipes allso a spare injector pump lol they are fridgile we had them go on varius tractors for no reason at all

Doctor Who ?
Jan 23rd, 2008, 21:12
An old dodge / bodge I've used in the past is a ball bearing under the pump union ... Runs on Five, but, as you'd expect but no loss of fuel (£1:07 per litre) and yes, they are brittle ... B.T.W. have you got all the clamps on ??

:thumbs_up:

tfb
Jan 24th, 2008, 13:24
missing one clamp ( the one that clamps just 2 pipes), but I have got all the others on

Regards

TFB