PDA

View Full Version : D24TIC - Check Your Oil Cooler!

monkeh
Jan 31st, 2008, 02:10
My Oil cooler dropped yesterday, bouncing along the tarmac and consequently loosing an absolute mass amount of oil! Fortunatly it was as I was pulling into the cul de sac, No engine damage!
Found that the brackets that are bolted to the chassis had rusted away, May be worth checking your oil coolers as they could end up in a similar state as mine.

Euro car parts quote ~£39 for a new one.

craig8661
Jan 31st, 2008, 09:52
mine is held in place with tie raps has been the last year since she had a new main rad brackets was broken on it then so was being safe rather than sorry as speed ramps was just clipping it

Doctor Who ?
Jan 31st, 2008, 10:23
My Oil cooler dropped yesterday, bouncing along the tarmac and consequently loosing an absolute mass amount of oil! Fortunatly it was as I was pulling into the cul de sac, No engine damage!
Found that the brackets that are bolted to the chassis had rusted away, May be worth checking your oil coolers as they could end up in a similar state as mine.

Euro car parts quote ~£39 for a new one.

Hmm I had "This" with mine a while ago ... Had to replace the cooler "Hoses" too, the "Ally" of the connector union (s) had corroded into the threads of the cooler (also ally) ... bugger :wac_mad: ............ :money:

niloc
Jan 31st, 2008, 10:39
Doesn't just apply to the diesels. Would this be the little radiator attached to the passenger side of the coolant rad? If so, my 760TIC had one too!

monkeh
Jan 31st, 2008, 10:51
Its a small 'rad' about 3" tall and about 2' long.

As for the hoses, Where did you obtain these from? mine seems to be ok, I have cleaned the unions and the washers have been rejuvenated, bolts are fine.

Craig, I will take your advice, Tie wrap it up as well! The cooler seems to be in a vulnerable spot, seems to be the one of the lowest points.

Do the diesel engines have an engine shield?

niloc
Jan 31st, 2008, 11:03
Monkeh:
http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?ref=23&products_id=4837

got a piccy of the cooler?

monkeh
Jan 31st, 2008, 11:06
When I go home, Ill take a quick snappy of whats left of it...

or I will take a pic of the new one I get today.
Eurocarparts

monkeh
Jan 31st, 2008, 14:36
Ok, Problems,
Got to eurofarts, they gave me a small, cylindrical 'thing' called a cooler, turns out it was for an earlier model, My cooler wasnt available and when they could get one it would cost £202.06!!!
Does anyone have a scrap one I could swap for cash?

Doctor Who ?
Feb 1st, 2008, 22:07
Its a small 'rad' about 3" tall and about 2' long.

As for the hoses, Where did you obtain these from? mine seems to be ok, I have cleaned the unions and the washers have been rejuvenated, bolts are fine.

Craig, I will take your advice, Tie wrap it up as well! The cooler seems to be in a vulnerable spot, seems to be the one of the lowest points.

Got the hoses from my friendly *tealer (yes, they really are !)

I have replaced my Engine shield (plastic tray) though I understand its often left off to improve cooling when Towing ..... :lightbulb:

jor
Feb 2nd, 2008, 00:24
So I take it you've not decided to splash out for a new one? Seem to remember reading somewhere that better oil coolers were advised for towing, so there must be ones besides OE that fit. I've asked a guru and will report back. Presumably you've tried the guy on the auction site and other parts places?

john

monkeh
Feb 3rd, 2008, 02:23
I have, Terry has been most helpful, plus I have 2 VGC leather seats on the way as well, To be honest, I have not got the 200+ to spend, I Wish I had because I would seriously splash out on the things necessary to make my car better! At the moment, itll be 2nd hand, hope SWMB doesnt mind an oil cooler being cleaned in the kitchen sink!

JIM C
Feb 3rd, 2008, 07:13
Kenlowe make transmission oil coolers.

http://www.kenlowe.com/

monkeh
Feb 5th, 2008, 14:41
John,
I dont tow that often, if it is, its small trailers, with the exception to the odd car, 3 tonne van for short distances only.
Like I said I dont have the money at the moment to spend the 206.00 from eurocar parts, I darent contact the main dealer.

Look forward to hearing about your findings.

jor
Feb 5th, 2008, 21:36
No reply to date. Went to clean out my own trailer yesterday and at the bottom in a bin bag was.... yes, an oil cooler. Not something that you would want to pay £200 for.
Anyway it sounds like you are fixed up, but let me know if that's not the case.

john

jor
Feb 16th, 2008, 14:05
This is the one I'm fairly sure.

john