PDA

View Full Version : D19 - S40/V40 to 2004 - Biodiesel

S40_Paul
Jan 31st, 2008, 23:54
Hi

I've just been getting my Volvo S40 and wondered what it was like to run on BioDiesel? Im pretty sure its a Renault lump (its a late 2002 1.9Sport) so didnt know fi they could on Bio, my old Golf GTTDI could.

Also, I've tried doing various searches for biodiesel outlets in the County Durham area, anyone know of any that are 1)available and 2) actually open?! I've found loads of EX producers of Bio, they seem to be getting less and less.

D5driver
Feb 1st, 2008, 00:50
Your engine will be fine with biodiesel, have a go at making your own biodiesel I am :thumbs_up:

S40_Paul
Feb 1st, 2008, 10:50
Ah well that is a relief as such, what blend can the Renault engines run on? 100% Bio?

And what you mean by making it urself? is it that easy? I thought youneeded the big vat's and machinery?

D5driver
Feb 1st, 2008, 11:07
I am running my D5 on 100% now and its fine, try running 25% for a couple of tanks then 50% for couple then 75% then 100%. Do a search on google for instructions how to make biodiesel, its very easy and you can save lots of £'s :thumbs_up:

S40_Paul
Feb 1st, 2008, 11:59
Awesome! On my Golf I think i used to run 50/50blend most of the time but thank's for the help! I'll do a search for it see if i can make my own as well!

Cypher007
Feb 18th, 2008, 16:08
most new diesel engines dont like running veg oil, it does nasty things to the sensors. check here:

http://www.elsbett.com/us/vegetable-oil/vegetable-oil-standard.html

it needs to have a Bosch pump fitted.

RoyMacDonald
Feb 18th, 2008, 23:45
most new diesel engines dont like running veg oil, it does nasty things to the sensors. check here:

http://www.elsbett.com/us/vegetable-oil/vegetable-oil-standard.html

it needs to have a Bosch pump fitted.

They're talking about running on biodiesel though.

On veg oil.....The ACEA tested a hundred tractors and about 64% had some kind of oil realated engine failure, although the other 36% ran fine.

Roy

jackass
Feb 19th, 2008, 18:03
Handbook for S60 D5 says no more than 15% RSE (Rapeseed Ester), B100 biodiesel is 100% RSE.

RoyMacDonald
Feb 20th, 2008, 12:16
Handbook for S60 D5 says no more than 15% RSE (Rapeseed Ester), B100 biodiesel is 100% RSE.

That's interesting. The 2003 XC90 D5 handbook says 5% RME

Roy

jackass
Feb 27th, 2008, 09:42
Apparently fuel producers can add up to 10% RME without notifying end users (and do so in Ultra low Sulphar fuel). So maybe the 5% is a reflection of this.

D5driver
Feb 27th, 2008, 09:53

Mine runs fine on 100% biodiesel, And i know of a 2004 V6 audi running 100%

S40_Paul
Mar 12th, 2008, 00:42
I've finally found a dealer of bio diesel, but obviously I need to know if its a bosch pump at least, how Do i find that out for my specific car as doesnt some have it some dont?

SteveRat
Mar 18th, 2008, 15:00
I emailed Volvo UK about this a couple of years ago for my 2000 V70. They quoted the 5% figure. However I do run it on a lot greater percentage.

In the cold weather since Christmas it has not like running on a high % of bio. So I'm currently back to no more than 30%.

PS: I had a 5l can of bio in my garage for a couple of weeks. When I poured it in to the car it was a lot more viscous that normal diesel. I would estimate that its as thick as straight Veg oil @ 6-10deg C.

petevolvo
Mar 22nd, 2008, 23:07
Why do people think they can just put anything in their tank and not expect problems? Ok, bio diesel is cheap and we all would like to save a few quid, but, like LPG, there are some serious issues with the use of bio-diesel. I know lots of people use it without problems (lots of people smoke and don't get ill....) but I really wouldn't recommend it. I have seen cars ruined by poor quality bio-diesel, fuel filters full of 'lard' and engine management lights tripped by this fuel. If you're running a £500 Fiesta and are prepared to take a risk then fine but put it in a decent car...... The S40 was never designed to be run on chip fat and, whilst I know the properties are similar, you would be sick if you saved a few quid a year but blew your engine!

thefatbloke
Oct 19th, 2008, 18:32
I have been running my 04 S40 1.9D on 100% biodiesel for over 2000 miles without any problems. The engine is smoother on tickover and the power delivery is very slightly different. I make my own fuel from waste oil from a nearby takeaway.
I am careful to use a source free from palm oil and I wash and filter the fuel very carefully. Now the weather is getting a bit colder, I shall start to use a 50/50 mix of biodiesel and fossil diesel. By taking the right precautions, I'm confident enough to continue using biodiesel. My friend has been using a 50/50 mix of biodiesel in a BMW X3 for ages without any problems.
The system I use is from GreenFuels in Gloucestershire.

Laney760
Oct 23rd, 2008, 16:00
Most people on here are talking about running common rail engines on biodiesel. I would expect those who are running on 100 per cent to have engine & pump problems eventually. While conventional diesel engines can handle fuel with a high content of biodiesel, common-rail engines can only stomach a much lower percentage, typically max 20-30%. That's chiefly because their ultra-fast and ultra-precise solenoid-operated injection systems are set up for mineral fuels. I think somebody should set up a sticky thread which people register their car type on, the date they started using bio, the mileage, at what percentage bio, at what time/mileage problems began and over time we can see what happens. Then we'll all know for sure if we can or can't use bio in our particular engines over a period of time!