PDA

View Full Version : D5254T (to 2002, Audi) - Thinking of buying P1 V70 tdi.

Matthews 855 T5
Feb 4th, 2008, 17:38
I am looking at a couple of V70 tdi's both automatics. We have run two 850s and numerous 240's and 740's including a brief time with a 262.

What are the common pitfalls to this model year 97 and 98? For example: one of my 850's suffered a rear main seal loss and cost nearly 600pounds, so I want to avoid this kind of cost.

What advice do you have for me to look for on the cars, both have 170k miles plus?

Thanks
Matt

JOHN 850
Feb 4th, 2008, 18:55
I like auto's too, but I've seen a few where the boxes are either faulty or have given up at that sort of mileage so I went for a manual. A rebuild on these boxes are £1300+, so you will need to bear that in mind, especially if you tow & putting extra strain on a tired box.

The engines are very good & tough, if looked after with regular oil changes and make sure the belts have been done every 80k max along with the tensioners etc & ideally the water pump as there have been reports of them seizing ! Don't worry about them smoking , as they all seem to do it especially if driven around town - a good italian tune up usually helps to clear it a bit. They will also smoke if it takes a couple of times to start from cold, as the engine has to get rid of unburnt diesel - this is usually a sign of failed glow plugs which you can replace at home.

MPG wise, expect 38-42 around town & 42-50 on a run, depending on your riving style of course !

Overall, good tough cars with quite a bit of punch power wise & economical, just watch high mile autos.

Cheers,

John.

Gazmo
Feb 4th, 2008, 22:54
Good luck with the search I made a choice and bought a high mileage v70 it had 163000 on the clock at the begining of october and now has 172000 on the clock ,I have had a few glitches with it but it has run and is running very well loads of go even with this mileage so go for it

outnumbered
Feb 4th, 2008, 23:08
I am looking at a couple of V70 tdi's both automatics. We have run two 850s and numerous 240's and 740's including a brief time with a 262.

What are the common pitfalls to this model year 97 and 98? For example: one of my 850's suffered a rear main seal loss and cost nearly 600pounds, so I want to avoid this kind of cost.

What advice do you have for me to look for on the cars, both have 170k miles plus?

Thanks
Matt
hi matt
cam belt , pump belt, and water pump these are a must. the pump timeing has to be done via a scan tool, i have a code reader for tdis up to 1999 with msa 15.7 so can do that for you . i will also be selling my 850 tdi with 120000 very soon so if you need that hook up let me no
mike
850 tdi
v70 t5