PDA

View Full Version : D19 - 400 Series - hot start hiccups

mr dbini
Feb 12th, 2008, 20:09
hey folks - i was having trouble starting my 460 1.9td on cold mornings - lots of smoke and taking a while to get going.
so i changed my glowplugs. fiddly little buggers.
these days it starts ok when cold (still a single guff of smoke when the engine fires up though) but its started getting dodgy when i try to start a warm engine. the hotter the worse the problem.
it gives a few coughs and dies. i need to fire up the glowplugs a few times before turning the key all the way.
any ideas what could be wrong?

Cypher007
Feb 18th, 2008, 14:42
our one does the smoky thing sometimes on cold mornings, but its not consistent, like this morning it was -5c and it fired up no problem. i think it may be something to do with the vacuum operated fuel advance system, i think it sticks sometimes, as we also find that sometimes when you pull up at a junction the tickover is at 1500rpm. either that or the throttle cable is sticking. anyway this may or may not work, buy some Forte diesel fuel cleaner and pour enough into the car's fuel filter cup, this is probably best done when you need to change the fuel filter anyway, then put the rest in the fuel tank with maybe 1/2 to 1/3 of a tank of fuel. then use the car as normal, taking it easy for the first 10 mile or so, because the fuel pump will be running on about 1/3 cleaner to diesel. see if that sorts it.

p.s. what caused alot of running problems on ours was a very small air leak on the fuel filter primer, so it might be worth replacing this. a universal one is only about £23 and it will still take the Volvo filters.