PDA

View Full Version : D5 (D5244T to 2005) - Smoking D5 after start up and idle

Gazzer1uk
Feb 15th, 2008, 12:03
Hi folks,

I have a 54 plate XC70 with the D5 engine (165 variant). It's just turned over 50k miles all fully dealer serviced etc.

The problem is huge clouds of greyish smoke, and I mean huge!!! However this only occurs after a period of idle on start up. For example when the ice is on the car, I start the car, scrape the ice and then drive off. This may be 3 minutes or so before I drive off. I have two short runs of about 200 yards, and then hit the bypass and accelerate, and as I view the rear, boy do we see a gathering cloud of smoke. The bypass is about 1/2 mile before next roundabout and by the time I have got there, the smoke has gone and does not appear again...... If I was old bill I would stop me!

Oil usage seems normal, obviousy I am worried about this anyone any thoughts, before I take it back to the dealer?

Thanks,

Gaz

D5driver
Feb 15th, 2008, 13:10
Is it smoke or condensation ?

S60-MBS
Feb 15th, 2008, 13:13
What colour smoke?...D5's to tend to throw out alot of condensation on cold mornings..

Gazzer1uk
Feb 15th, 2008, 13:21
It's a very grey smoke, it lingers in the air, anyone behind would think I have a problem, the condensation tends to be much whiter I think,

Gaz

RoyMacDonald
Feb 15th, 2008, 13:35
Your engine is oviously still very cold when you're accelerating. Are you being very gentle as you accelerate with such a cold engine? Not over 2,000 rpm?

Roy

Gazzer1uk
Feb 15th, 2008, 15:05
Hi,

Certainly not being gentle, in fact much of it happens on "hard" acceleration away from the roundabout, 3rd gear seems to be the worst, and then it clears by the time I reach the next roundabout, if I gun it thereon, no problem!!!Is it my driving then?!!!!

Gaz

RoyMacDonald
Feb 15th, 2008, 15:08
Hi,

Certainly not being gentle, in fact much of it happens on "hard" acceleration away from the roundabout, 3rd gear seems to be the worst, and then it clears by the time I reach the next roundabout, if I gun it thereon, no problem!!!Is it my driving then?!!!!

Gaz

Yes ;-)

Roy

Gazzer1uk
Feb 15th, 2008, 15:15
Ahhhh.....

Why only if the car has been idling then?

And should I be tippy toe gentle...?!!!

Gaz

RoyMacDonald
Feb 15th, 2008, 15:25
Ahhhh.....

Why only if the car has been idling then?

And should I be tippy toe gentle...?!!!

Gaz

Has a chance to build up plenty of water in the exhaust because of the lower gas velocity on tickover.

Yes until the engine gets properly warmed up.....say 10 miles or so. Your engine will last a lot longer if you give the oil a chance to circulate properly and the clearances tighten up as well before you put a lot of stress on it.

Roy

Gazzer1uk
Feb 15th, 2008, 15:35
Hi,

So the belief is actually this is condensation then....

That fits but the grey nature of it still has me worried, it does not look like condensation, but then I guess if its mixed with the exhaust gases at the time, it could be colouring the vapours. However, even I can restrain my right boot, and yep as you say reduces initial stresses so will last longer.

Let's try it and see then!!

Thanks for the help,

Gaz