PDA

View Full Version : D24TIC - need to replace the clutch

craig8661
Feb 25th, 2008, 10:38
just wondering would it be the same type of removal as the 700 2ltr seris ie drop the box from the engine is it cable/ rod select for gears just wondering as i got mine stuck in fine gravel and clutch completly failed and locked the engine so goto do it where it died as even some 4x4 get stuck in there lol

jor
Feb 25th, 2008, 22:32
Sorry to hear about the problems Craig. There is not much in the way of ground clearance under these cars though and unless you dig a big trench I can't see how a transmission would drop out. Even if you succeeded its surely not pacticable to change in the middle of a bog.
Would you not be better dagging it somewhere warm with one of your tractors?

John

shrewsbury_sam
Mar 9th, 2008, 13:31
the gearstick is connected to the top of the box. you need to remove the circlip and the grub screw and pull the surround off the inside and remove the bottom of the gearstick from the box.

yes the box does need to be removed from the engine. how did it lock the engine if the clutch failed? if the clutch failed you would just loose drive unless its destroyed its self and jammed up the flywheel

craig8661
Mar 9th, 2008, 13:40
the clutch freed itself up we maniged to drag it out its now proping the back gate up at the min lol ordering the clutch tomorow for it one thing i did notice there is no room behind the engine to get the socket into it but a bit too awkard to get the spanner in is it worth dropping the engine of its mounts like the jeap when i did the clutch
engine starting fine now i thing the rivits gave way and the pad got stuck i goto get it done this week as its at the next irish volvo meet on the 6th of april

craig8661
Mar 9th, 2008, 13:54
just had a look at the gear stick the gear knob seams to be stuck firm on the gear stick allso one cover comes of but there is a very thick rubber seal that seal the stick from the car do i have to remove the centre panel to get that out

shrewsbury_sam
Mar 9th, 2008, 23:01
if you mean the top 2 bolts on the box you need to drop the cross member off and support the box drop the box down a little so the whole thing tilts and get a load of extensions on it and get to it that way
no need to take the knob off. once you have disconnected it take the surround cover off and it should pull out the way, no need to take the thick rubber seal out

craig8661
Mar 10th, 2008, 08:42
hmmmm i think i remember doing that to the other volvo now thats one of the main reasons for height under the car i got a good way to get gear box back in lol lie on my back get box onto my chest then lift with feet then push it back on well worked last time and all my mate did was go to the fridge for a bear lol