PDA

View Full Version : Fault in engine electronic system

Ginner
Feb 29th, 2008, 19:36
Hi Everyone,

Bought a 1999 Volvo V40 2.0T about 3 weeks ago and I've had a warning light appear a couple of times now.

I've referred to the manual and its instrument number 21 :- Fault in engine electronic system. Oddly enough on the three occasions that it lit it has been raining heavily twice and the third was after I'd used a pressure washer to clean it?!?! I'm thinking it may just be a wiring loom/sensor getting damp? Theres a good chance if it stays dry tonight the light won't be on in the morning.

Just to put my mind at ease I want to get the codes read, based on the model is there a code reader I can buy and read the codes myself?

Also does anyone here know of a good independant Volvo repair/service centre near me? I'm just off J34 of the M6 in Lancaster.

Regards

Steve

orpheus
Feb 29th, 2008, 22:58
Try www.talktomycar.co.uk
I have the U380 which reads and will erase the codes (excluding airbags) on my 1998 V40-T4

Ginner
Mar 1st, 2008, 20:58
Cool, might buy one. Is it easy enough to find out what the codes mean once I get them from the reader?

orpheus
Mar 2nd, 2008, 09:27
The operating manual that comes with it tells you what the generic code means but it doesn't tell you what action to take to rectify the problem.
Some may be easy like a faulty sensor or circuit but others more complicated needing advice from experts on this forum.

Ginner
Mar 2nd, 2008, 12:24
Cool thanks for the info, I think I'll take the plunge and get one, theres so much knowledge in this forum, its a great help.

It stop raining last night for pretty much the first time since my original post, its been p***ing down non stop for the last two days!!! Went out and checked the car this morning and the light has gone out?!?!? :thumbs_up:

I'll keep an eye on it, it may come back on or it may be something getting damp. I'll see what happens when I take the pressure washer to it again.

I can see this turning in to one of those annoying little niggles you get with older cars.

Ginner
Mar 3rd, 2008, 19:30
Started raining heavily last night as I was on my way to the boozer to watch a mate play in his band and the damn light came on again!!!! Its snowed on and off all day too so the light has stayed on.

I've ordered a U380 code reader anyway but I'm pretty sure the light is caused by water ingress.

Is there any particular areas of wiring on the 1999 V40's that suffer from corrosion that may be causing this fault? I've looked under the bonnet and there are two wires behind the radiator that don't have an outer casing as such and they look pretty crapped up and a loose cable behind the horn, its too dark to take a photo though. I'll take a snap in the morning and post it up.

Enigma666
Mar 3rd, 2008, 21:02
The whole loom runs under the radiator and is prone to wearing and general damage sadly....
Volvo are well aware of it, I rang tehm for a fault on my ABS and they said ah yes your loom will need replacing :(
Bugger that, did the re-wire job myself...much cheaper :)

Ginner
Mar 5th, 2008, 20:27
My U380 fault code reader arrived today. I've connected it and it gives 2 faults both the same code P0141 "O2 sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)".

What does that mean in lamens terms? Is it something I should attempt to repair myself? Or does it need to go back to the garage for more reapirs :(