PDA

View Full Version : General - Superchipping

flibbles
Mar 10th, 2008, 23:04
I own an x reg 2.5D volvo S80 and I'm thinking about getting it superchipped.
anybody done this?
did it make a blind bit of difference?
is it really worth the £300 places want to charge me?

thanks for any info!!

geofcoulson
Mar 11th, 2008, 21:40
I bought my 2002 S80 18 months ago and was impressed with the performance but because I tow a 23cwt caravan I decided to get it chipped(trading my previous car chip and getting a discount). It was from TD Performance Tuning.......www.tdperformance.co.uk

I takes it from 163bhp to about 195bhp. The difference was tremendous....even towing a caravan, the traction control struggles to cope when you pull away quick into a roundabout. I tend to use cruise alot and when coming out of roundabouts, I press resume (to take me back to 60mph) and often find that I am catching up rapidly on solo cars.

The mpg, I think is slightly better....possibly about 2mpg but towing I am now averaging 37 and get from Calais to Newcastle on French Deisel!!(400 miles).

If you are used to a Petrol, like I was....previously having a 24v Scorpio Cosworth, then getting a deisel is a step down but with the chip it is almost as good.

Is it worth £300+, only you can decide that. I dont know of any disadvantages altho at 96K miles I am having to shell out on new refurbished injectors costing £1000, but I understand that there was a problem with the 2002/3 D5's an Volvo did help some within the warranty period.
Hope this helps
Geoff

Supatramp
Mar 14th, 2008, 18:44
Re-mapping the ECU is a perfectly viable method of increasing power and torque, and as Geoff says, it most certainly works.

There are several side issues often raised, like warranties etc, but car dealers are 'chipping' cars even before they leave the showroom. One important thing, if you do get it done make sure you inform your insurance company, and there's a very real chance that you might have to take your insurance elsewhere as some companies take pretty draconian attitudes to 'chipping'. Unfortunately, any increasing of power is lumped in with the boy racers and they're souped-up GTIs!!

Nunchukhamster
Mar 14th, 2008, 18:49
Unfortunately, any increasing of power is lumped in with the boy racers and they're souped-up GTIs!!

I disagree, my moddified C70 is insured with Admiral on a multicar policy. There regular online quote system even allows you enter modifications when you try for a quote.

With regards to the OP, is the car a turbo diesel or n/a? The bigger power gains are achieved on turbo cars (both petrol & diesel), the n/a versions don't achieve anything like the same gains.

argyler
Mar 15th, 2008, 14:47
I have a Stienbauer P Box fitted to a Peugeot Boxer 2.0L HDI by Argyle Diesel Electrics in East Kilbride. This is a wee box which remaps the injection pattern and easily fits between the existing engine management and injectors. A 12 volt feed is required. Terrific improvement all round.
If you ever change injectors - do not fit recon units - buy Stanadyne which give a marked improvement.

geofcoulson
Mar 15th, 2008, 22:36
Sorry, when I answered the initial question, I forgot to mention that the unit is "plug and play". It can be fitted by someone without technical knowledge. In fact, all you do is unclip one connection and fit in the "box" and reconnect...as simple as that....and of course it is reversible, should you wish to sell the car and sell the chip box seperately.
Regards
Geoff