PDA

View Full Version : D5254T (to 2002, Audi) - Cambelt V70 Deisel Engine 1999/2000

Paul P
Mar 15th, 2008, 12:05
Hi Guys I have a friend who has a V70 1999 -2000,Deisel she has had the car serviced from new at a volvo dealership the last service was done approx 6,000 miles ago when they were supposed to have put a new cambelt on the car service cost £600, yesterday she was out in the car and it broke down the AA looked at it and the said cambelt was lumpy he took it to Volvo were she normally has it serviced this morning they have told her that the oil pump leaked on the cambelt ? when the AA man looked at it there was no oil on the cambelt in fact he never even mentioned seeing oil which I am sure he would have done now Volvo are saying she will need a new pump which is approx £600 also they will have to take the head off to see if any damage is done to the engine they have told her it is going to cost between a £1000 and £2000

Please can anyone advise us what to do Thanks Paul P

ivor940
Mar 15th, 2008, 13:31
Hi Paul, There are two "cam" belts on this engine, one at each end of the engine. Did the dealer change only one belt? The fuel pump and its drive belt is at the gear box end. If the pump belt just broke , the engine insides should be ok as there would be no force on the camshafts. If the pump seized, then this could cause internal engine damage as the main belt could then slip and piston / valve contact could occur.

ivor940

Paul P
Mar 15th, 2008, 15:18
Hi Ivor940 thanks for the reply. I have just spoken to the lady in question she said it sounded like a bag of nails before she could pull of the road there was no warning lights at all on the dashboard this was the first thing the AA man asked her. The AA man took the cover of the belt on the left hand side of the engine which was dry there was no oil on it ( the AA man may have only thought there was only one camshaft belt like myself) should there be a cover /gaurd on the the right hand side looking at the engine to check for the oil pump drive.( I would have thought if the oil pump had siezed the warning light should have come on the dashboard in the car) what do you think? Also should they have changed the belts when they did the service at 80,000 miles she told them to do what was supposed to be done on that service she is going to check her recipts
Cheers Paul P

Clan
Mar 15th, 2008, 15:34
you really need an independant inspection to determine what has happened and more importantly why ... the belt on the passenger side is only to drive the FUEL ( not oil ) pump and if it breaks you just stop with no damage . If the main cambelt has come off you need to know why ....
Good Luck ...

Paul P
Mar 15th, 2008, 15:49
Hi Clan many thanks for the info I will pass it onto the lady in question and let you know the outcome Cheers Paul P

BillB
Mar 17th, 2008, 12:59
The recommended cambelt change interval is 80k so, yes, it should have been changed automatically. A main dealer shouldn't expect the average owner to know this, it is THEIR responsibility. Regards.

Paul P
Apr 9th, 2008, 10:59
Hi guys, The outcome my lady friend she went to see Volvo,s to see about her car, they had taking the cam belt cover off and showed her some oil that a seal had been leaking! way was this not spotted when the new belt was fitted some 6,000 miles priar to to the belt failing!! Any way they told here that they would have to strip the engine to see if there was any damage done to the head etc. that would cost her around £600.00 they rang her after a day or so and said that there was no damage to the engine, the cost to put a new Oil seal, and cam belt, new head bolts, Etc. and put it to
gether would be a ferther £600.00 plus, the bill came to £1,356.56 I did surgest an indipendent to her she said by the time I get it moved on a lorry etc. as it was there at Volvo they my as well do it,

Thank you guys for all your help Paul P