PDA

View Full Version : D24TIC - 940 TD advice, please?

emmdee
Mar 20th, 2008, 10:53
I have found a late 1994 940 Estate - as far as I can tell, it has the D24tic engine.

It's a November 1994 reg. I'm guessing, since I've seen the engine and it has an intercooler, that it is the d24tic. First owner had it for 5 years, next owner had it for 8 years. At the moment it's not running, probably due to the pump. The bodywork looks good, interior is nice. On the downside, it hasn't been running for a few months, but it did have a full service by an independent Volvo mechanic prior to being laid up. It also has 243000 miles on it, which is rather a lot. It belongs to a guy whom I think I can trust, having had him do plenty of work on both my 960 and my wife's s40, and I think if he thought it was a lemon then he'd tell me.

The spec is SE. Will this have Nivomats on the rear, as I put new Nivos on my 960 just 18 months ago and I'd swap them if I could. It also has a rather nasty stereo. I'd like to be able to swap the stereo out of my 960, which is ace, but I don't know if they're the same size, same connectors, etc. Will need to have a look at that.

It's a manual 5 speed as far as I could tell.

And a strange/daft question to finish with. I have a recently replaced battery in my 960, as well as a brand new boxed radiator for it that hasn't yet been fitted. Would I be able to use either of these in the 940?

Thanks for any help you can give.
m.d.

ivor940
Mar 20th, 2008, 11:30
Hi The battery will probably fit. But I think the 960 rad will be too big. I got an electric fan and fan cowl from Cumbrianmales' 960 and from the size of the cowl, the 960 rad wont fit the 940 petrol. The 960 fan will fit a 940 petrol fan cowl. If the Diesel rad is wider than the Petrol one, it may fit. The hoses may be too short to match the 960 rad. You may have to move the Evaporative canister.

ivor940

jpliddy
Mar 20th, 2008, 20:49
hi welcome to the 940 tdi club. i cant help you with the issuses you have. i have had my 940 tdi 8 years and not replaced any of the parts you are asking about yet. the cambelt history is most important to check . if it fails it has caused the death of many of these engins. i woud not let it do more than 6 years or 60000 miles . change the air filter once a year .clean air is a must . i change the oil and filter twice a year. i use millers xfe . the glow plugs i change mine at 5 years . peter milnes the 940 keeper is most helpful he has a vast knowledge on this model . the coments are my views only .
regards .james liddy

RoyMacDonald
Mar 20th, 2008, 23:29
My glow plugs were still in the car after 15 years and 160,000 miles. I needed one injector replaced though.

Just check the battery meets the same spec as the original. They do need a heavy duty battery. The only component likley to be affected by sitting around unused for a couple of months is the battery. Check that's not the reason it won't start. They do need a good battery in my experience. If the battery is dogy they just don't do anything other than illuminate the dashboard when you turn on the ignition.

A main dealer can probably tell you if that rad can fit your car if you give them the part no and your chasiss no.

Roy

jor
Mar 21st, 2008, 01:24
There's no chance of the radiator fitting as it's from a completely different engine. VADIS should give info on what came with the car, it's widely available on auction sites, though instalation is a bit tricky.

john

craig8661
Mar 22nd, 2008, 02:15
i kno the 740 desial rad will fit i have one but at the min is promised to anouther member hope you get her going

Doctor Who ?
Apr 9th, 2008, 19:52
When I was looking for a replacement Battery for my 940 TIC, I found that the "960" (Three Litre) Battery was a higher "Spec" - just :thumbs_up: