PDA

View Full Version : HELP I AM NEW - 1996 VOLVO 850 TDI CD 1997 (Manuf 1996)

Grandad Dave
Aug 16th, 2008, 09:18
Always wanted a Volvo, manual, diesel and an estate.

Now found one but with no paperwork.

Discovered there is no Haynes Workshop Manual for this model apparantly not enough made to warrant it.

Have tried a site at www. elecontronicmanual.co.uk and they cannot help.

So with no service history and being a retired HGV diesel mechanic I am going through changing timing belts, etc before I put it on the road.

So my questions are -

1. Is there anyone on this site who have or owned this model?

2. Does anyone know if this 5 cylinder diesel engine is the same one as they equip the VW Transporter with.

3. Does anyone know if there is a Workshop Manual for this vehicle or could give me an idea of another manual that would suit.

Any help would be appreciated.

phasesonix
Aug 16th, 2008, 14:03
Always wanted a Volvo, manual, diesel and an estate.

Now found one but with no paperwork.

Discovered there is no Haynes Workshop Manual for this model apparantly not enough made to warrant it.

Have tried a site at www. elecontronicmanual.co.uk and they cannot help.

So with no service history and being a retired HGV diesel mechanic I am going through changing timing belts, etc before I put it on the road.

So my questions are -

1. Is there anyone on this site who have or owned this model?

2. Does anyone know if this 5 cylinder diesel engine is the same one as they equip the VW Transporter with.

3. Does anyone know if there is a Workshop Manual for this vehicle or could give me an idea of another manual that would suit.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi,

I have played about with this engine. It's the same one thats in the Audi A6 from 94 til about 97/98. Not sure if haynes do a manual for them but if you go on ebay and get Vadis it's much better than any haynes manual and covers loads of volvos including yours(theres a good section about changing the cambelt).It only costs a couple of quid too.

It is the same basic engine(block and head) as the TDI transporters but I think the transporter is limited to 102bhp instead of 140bhp.

I've done the cambelt on these and there not too bad. It's worth replacing the water pump as it's quite common for these to fail. Get a genuine water pump though it's about 2/3 times more expensive but it's worth it.

Also you can get a new cambelt tensioner on www.eurocarparts.com quite cheap and it's the same make that volvo/audi use(Ina).

hope this helps,

Loz

pete-d
Aug 16th, 2008, 19:54
I have the Haynes manual that covers this engine in the 100/A6 models.

If you want it, PM me.

Pete

Grandad Dave
Aug 18th, 2008, 20:48
Thanks for your help both of you - you will see my latest problem is getting this Water Pump.

I have posted a message about this.

Tried Europarts but what is there is not the same as my water pump.

I am attaching, hopefully, two photos.

phasesonix
Aug 19th, 2008, 17:23
I saw your other post where someone offered a genuine one for £65-Which is a good deal- And it's defiently worth getting a genuine one as if it goes(as alot of the cheaper) it causes a lot of damage as you probaly know.

all the best,Loz

Grandad Dave
Aug 21st, 2008, 18:33
Phasesonix

Thanks for your help also. Got a Vadis DVD's arrive today not computer literate but wife is getting on the case - hopefully.

Whatever information I get on this car I feel is not wasted.

Dave