PDA

View Full Version : D5 (2005 on) - 2009 D5 V50 tuning

HeliFella
Aug 17th, 2008, 00:00
As per my previous (1st ever) post I am awaiting delivery of my RDesign D5.

I currently have another "low flying" Swedish car fitted with a module by Diesel Tuning (UK). Very happy after a few teething tweaks. I now see they manufacture a "Spider" evolution which has become far more advanced in the way it controls fuel & mapping etc.

They quote power & torque will change as below

V50 2.4 D5 180ps > 218ps 350Nm > 450Nm

with an average saving of 6 mpg under normal driving conditions.

Has anyone had any experience of the Spider or any other system?

One other question - Do after market air filters / induction kits offer similar gains to their unleaded counterparts?

Regards

HeliFella

Clan
Aug 17th, 2008, 08:20
Apparantly the reason the V50 does not have the full power D5 ( 185bhp) is due to cooling , there isnt room for a radiator as big as in the V70 . So extracting 200+ bhp may cause problems , I would guess this would only be a problem driving at full throttle for extended periods , not very possible in uk !

Rooster
Aug 17th, 2008, 15:03
I wouldn't bother they go like stink anyway without chipping it

dodgyken
Aug 18th, 2008, 15:14
Those numbers do sound rather ambitious.

I have had my Sept 2007 V70 D5 remapped using Heico - plenty of stuff in the Volvo news at the moment about them. The remap is excellent. Overall driveability is massively improved - and so also fuel economy. They quote 210PS and 460NM - and because it is a German map it has to pass various German TUV tests - so should be reliable and honest.

The numbers I quote seem to be about what most tuners quote for a D5 map. 218 sounds rather optimistic (as does 6mpg) so I would be careful.

FYI my HEICO remap was done by the HEICO engineer from Germany at the HEICO Switzerland importer - they stamp the service book, and the map is not overwritten by future Volvo updates. The map does not effect the Volvo warranty in any way. That piece of mind is worth the inflated price in my book.

Clan
Aug 18th, 2008, 16:17
The map does not effect the Volvo warranty in any way. That piece of mind is worth the inflated price in my book.

It does affect the warranty , it specificaly excludes "Any modification of the vehicle or parts which is not authorised by the vehicle manufacturer, including any engine performance enhancement modifications." in the warranty terms and conditions, if any warranty claim is remotly linked to the engine.
Volvo wash their hands of the car in the warranty period of any engine related warning lights on etc ..

But i guess there are unlikely to be any problems in the warranty period ..

dodgyken
Aug 18th, 2008, 21:10
The HEICO map IS covered by the warranty. Partly, I guess, because of the recently signed co-operation agreement between the 2 companies. This warranty covers was included in older cars so is nothing new. HEICO have been race preparing Volvos for quite a while - www.heico-sportiv.de

And of course I also have the Swiss Premium warranty and service pack - standard on all Volvos delivered in Switzerland :D :D :D

don kalmar union
Aug 19th, 2008, 12:06
I will have the long awaited MTE software for all Volvo D5's within a few days.

It will cost £511 including installation and VAT.

The outputs are 220bhp with max. 475nm torque.

It is available with MTE's unique softloader system asan extra which can be further enhanced with MTE diagnostics and logging software.

Regards, Don.Norchi.

John_C
Aug 19th, 2008, 12:51
Don, does that also cover the latest shape i.e. 2007-on S80 D5?

Cheers,
John

Clan
Aug 19th, 2008, 18:48
The HEICO map IS covered by the warranty. Partly, I guess, because of the recently signed co-operation agreement between the 2 companies. This warranty covers was included in older cars so is nothing new. HEICO have been race preparing Volvos for quite a while - www.heico-sportiv.de

And of course I also have the Swiss Premium warranty and service pack - standard on all Volvos delivered in Switzerland :D :D :D

didnt realise you were not in UK . You might find that the HEICO company have their own engine warranty , VOLVO UK certainly wont support it ..

IC
Aug 19th, 2008, 20:21
Don, does that also cover the latest shape i.e. 2007-on S80 D5?

Cheers,
John

John, are you thinking about getting a S80?

Iain

http://www.swedishcarforumsandmaintenance.co.uk/forums/index.php

HeliFella
Aug 20th, 2008, 23:43
Unfortunately I will require the ease of plug n play to aid simplicity for servicing etc and £511 is a lot of dollar for a similar sized bang.

John_C
Aug 20th, 2008, 23:50
John, are you thinking about getting a S80?

Iain

Maybe Iain, have to see how things pan out and it won't be for at least a few months but I've been putting together a shortlist and an S80 is a possibility.

It's a car which all the reviews said was good enough to be a viable alternative to a beemer or a merc and the usual Volvo saloon depreciation makes it much more affordable used than a similar age 5/3 series.

Most likely it will be 2009 before I'm seriously looking for another car, I'm just playing at the moment ;)

Cheers,
John