PDA

View Full Version : B18U engine removal with air con help required

jlgrosvenor
Aug 17th, 2008, 17:05
Hi Guys,

I have been reading the forum furiously trying to figure out how to get the engine out of my 440 1.8si.

I think I have the basic principle figured out, but I am not sure whether to drop the sub-frame, or lift the engine with a hoist out of the top of the car.

I need to change the clutch, timing belts + pulleys and the front and rear crankshaft seals whilst I am at it. There is an oil leak from somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. I have had the sump of and resealed it, but this has made no difference. I can't see round the back of the engine but the head gasket seems o.k. even with 111111 miles on the clock.

I have two very slim single garages next to each other. One is empty and will just about hold the Volvo. Getting out is a squeeze and I can only walk down one side of the car once it is in depending if the car is slightly to the left or right. The other garage is for tools and working. Should be able to wheel the engine and gearbox in there on the hoist for spannering once removed.

What do you suggest with the air con?
I could remove the compressor from the auxiliary system and leave it in the car, but the coolant hose from the receiver/dryer runs over the top of the gearbox. How would I lift the engine out with this in the way (Paynes manual makes no attempt to even mention it!). I don't want to break the system as (1) it is illegal to let refridgerant in to the atmosphere and (2) I will have to pay to get it filled again.

Dropping the subframe is an option, but I only have the 1 hoist and my garage is not very high. I am not sure I could get the car high enough once the frame is dropped to get the engine out.
I could always drop the subframe out, with the car in-front of the garage, and wheel the engine and subframe in to the garage with with the help of strong men .

What do I do with the PAS pump? There is no mention of this with Haynes either. And does it depend on which method I chose?

I am also concerned about the state of the engine mounts when I remove the engine as I am getting some jerking in 1st and immediately as you lift abruptly off the gas in any gear.