PDA

View Full Version : 480abs

rknowles
Aug 19th, 2008, 17:10
My garage has told me I need a new ABS control unit at a cost of £805. - can you believe it? The ABS warning light is permanently on. Can anyone suggest a cheaper fix for this problem?

bkf_uk
Aug 19th, 2008, 17:37
i have a mkIV (4) (later under the bonnet one) sat in my garage, you can have for £50 + postage with a brand new pump on there and with ecu as well, no good to me as i have tracs and this unit is a non tracs one (4 pipes on the side 2 at the back unlike a tracs one with six pipes on the side)

B20F
Aug 20th, 2008, 16:55
First you could try to clean the ABS sensors on the front and back wheels with brake cleaner and a cloth. Most of the times dirty sensors are the cause the ABS light stay on. And read the fault codes from the diagnostic box (if there is one on your 480)

GEORGEROV
Aug 21st, 2008, 17:54
If it is the control unit then try the internet scrappies. Also nothing lost in taking the faulty one apart and going over the solder joints with an iron. Dry joints are the cause of so many problems in car circuit boards due to the vibration.

rknowles
Sep 4th, 2008, 17:53
Thanks - cleaned up connections in old one and resoldered joints. Problem solved. Thanks for the offer but now sorted.
rknowles