PDA

View Full Version : 440 cd

twaiter
Aug 24th, 2008, 23:41
hi guys, my name is martyn, just recently got a 1996 440 2.0 auto cd, its got 120k n still drives well, the only thing is i think the mpg is really bad..
if i put in say £21 of fuel thats 19ltrs, that gets me about 90 mile? i dont know if this is normal for this car, but that seams pretty bad to me..
i now notice that on journeys of more than 115 mile a green triangle light comes on the dash and stays their untill i turn off..
dont know if thats to do with anything.. but it seams pretty bad..
any ideas??
thanks

Baffler
Aug 25th, 2008, 03:23
Hi and welcome to the forum.

By my calculations that's an average of about 22.5 miles per gallon which is pretty bad, even for an automatic. You could be experiencing lambda sensor issues, hence the green triangle lamp (engine management light) and poor economy.

Another check would be the fuel filter. I'd have a original Volvo one fitted if I were you. Also, the fact that it's an auto may mean that it hasn't been driven very hard so take it out for an Italian tune up... Keep those revs high and make it kick down a few times.

Good luck...

twaiter
Aug 25th, 2008, 07:48
thanks for the reply buddy, tbh im glad of what you've told me, i didnt think it was normal! i was dissapointed tbh, i like e car but just cant afford that!
ive always been cautious about flooring it cause of the auto, ive heard the box isnt strong so i wasnt keen.. but if you think i should do it more often then ok kl. lol
how would i go about changing the lambda sensor? rough cost to be looking at?
what do people generally get with fuel usage to like £20 in these cars?
thanks again.

Clan
Aug 25th, 2008, 08:43
Expect 35 ish to the gallon often more on a long run ...the 440 is not a heavy car and has low rolling resistance. The turbo gives great fuel consumption 40 mpg ..The 1800 single injector engine gives the best all round performance/fuel consumption package It all depends how you drive of course , and whether you live in a hilly area .
The 440 auto is most reliable , never gives problems .. unlike the CVT version on the 1800 ... dip the oil if its not any shade of red then get it changed !
The warning light coming on on a 440 is a rare thing too , it could mean one of many things , you need the code reading and see what it relates to .
Have a look at the vacuum pipe going to the Manifold pressure sensor mounted in the heater air intake box at the base of the windscreen drivers side . Check the whole pipe for blockage especialy the manifold end where there is a brass restrictor in the short rubber pipe connecting it to the manifold . This sensor has a huge influence on the fueling ...

twaiter
Aug 26th, 2008, 12:31
i dont know where that vacume pipe is.. as for the gearbox oil, i'll check that!
the green triangle has been commming on earlier and earlier latley..
i put thru some redex to see if that helps.. dnt think it did! lol
i dnt have alot of cash to use just now so i mite just have to put up with the consumption..