PDA

View Full Version : D24TIC - How to increase my idle speed

Laney760
Aug 26th, 2008, 00:10
Hope this posting is ok, hardly very technical when members out there can rebuild engines etc... but some of us are late starters, lol..

Quote:

tfb

I'd agree with too much revs, the D24T should be able to chug up a steep hill on idle.

If you do want to raise the idle, it's simple enough to adjust the linkage. The D24 manual states 750 rpm for a D24 and 830 rpm for a D24T/TIC.

I'm sure my engine would greatly benefit from having it's worn engine's current idle increased from 600 to the recommended 830rpm. I don't yet have access to any form of manual (I've learned how to get hold of the Volvo green service manual from these forums and am getting one asap) and this is something that doesn't need brute force that I could do myself. Could anyone talk me through this on this forum. I'm assuming the linkage talked about comes off the diesel pump as if it were a petrol it would be off the petrol pump? Emm, think I meant the carb. Many thanks

tfb
Aug 26th, 2008, 04:22
I'll scan the page from the manual a bit later on and post here for you

Regards

TFB

Laney760
Aug 26th, 2008, 08:58
Thank you. I will get my manual as soon as finances allow

craig8661
Aug 26th, 2008, 10:44
pm me for my email then email me and remind me and tonight i will email you all the green manuals in pdf format same for any one else just pm me

tfb
Aug 26th, 2008, 11:25
I'll let craig send you the whole manual then, send me a pm if you have any probs

Regards

TFB

Laney760
Aug 26th, 2008, 23:58
pm me for my email then email me and remind me and tonight i will email you all the green manuals in pdf format same for any one else just pm me

I have pm'd you with my email address, thank you

Peter Milnes
Aug 29th, 2008, 04:53
Hi Laneystrider, On top of the pump there are two screws longitudinally (fore/aft). Get the engine up to running temp then carefully adjust the screw next to the rocker cover (clockwise from front of engine) to increase the idle limit to the right revs. It would really be best to check timing and pump settings first. This will set up the running conditionings which affect the revs. Then if necessary reset the max idle revs. The screw on the outer side adjusts the max revs (5,400 rpm), so don't touch that one.

All the best, Peter. :car-smiley-031:

craig8661
Aug 29th, 2008, 10:22
pm sent with link for turbo rebuild and green book on engine

Laney760
Aug 29th, 2008, 19:39
Hi Laneystrider, On top of the pump there are two screws longitudinally (fore/aft). Get the engine up to running temp then carefully adjust the screw next to the rocker cover (clockwise from front of engine) to increase the idle limit to the right revs. It would really be best to check timing and pump settings first. This will set up the running conditionings which affect the revs. Then if necessary reset the max idle revs. The screw on the outer side adjusts the max revs (5,400 rpm), so don't touch that one.

That sounds straightforward enough, I'll have time to have a go at that Monday. Have the whole green manual in pdf form now from Craig, but when I get time I need to find a free download for .rar file extension, Windows can't open it (maybe there was a different format I could have downloaded it in, will check later in the weekend). Thank You

Peter Milnes
Aug 30th, 2008, 04:20
Just download Adobe Reader from the Adobe website (it's free). We used to be able to download it from our website, but I don't know if you still can. You will then be able to read *.pdf files with ease.

Laney760
Aug 30th, 2008, 08:24
Just download Adobe Reader from the Adobe website (it's free). We used to be able to download it from our website, but I don't know if you still can. You will then be able to read *.pdf files with ease.

Hi Peter

I've got adobe reader, will check mine is the up to date version, thank you

Laney760
Sep 9th, 2008, 16:44
Thank you Craig, I've finally found the time today and downloaded a free version of software to open my green book from the link you sent me (which is in .rar format) for 40 days and I'm in! I'll print it all off before my 40 days is up, put it all in waterproof folders and there'll be no stopping me now, hopefully I won't be starting so many threads on how to do things in my engine. Many thanks, you've saved me lots of money

Alec Dawe
Sep 11th, 2008, 21:52
Thank you Craig, I've finally found the time today and downloaded a free version of software to open my green book from the link you sent me (which is in .rar format) for 40 days and I'm in! I'll print it all off before my 40 days is up, put it all in waterproof folders and there'll be no stopping me now, hopefully I won't be starting so many threads on how to do things in my engine. Many thanks, you've saved me lots of money

Don't worrry about the 40 days, it'll still work, but every time you use it you get an annoying little message to say that its only free for 40 days, and you MUST remove it from your computer, or pay. Alternatively, look for Zip Genuis on the net, and download that, free for life, and opens all sorts of compressed files!

Laney760
Sep 11th, 2008, 23:34
Don't worrry about the 40 days, it'll still work, but every time you use it you get an annoying little message to say that its only free for 40 days, and you MUST remove it from your computer, or pay. Alternatively, look for Zip Genuis on the net, and download that, free for life, and opens all sorts of compressed files!

Thanks for that but I'll still download to cd as I've had several hard drives die down the years and deeply regretted not backing stuff up and also want a paper copy so when I have to keep reading again and again (as I do, lol) what to do when I am working on my car, it'll be next to me at the car and I won't have to come in and keep looking at my computer screen!

switcher
May 10th, 2009, 21:54

What does PM me mean. I would really like a copy of green mamual also

migrator
May 10th, 2009, 23:02
The term 'PM' on this forum is 'Private Message'. You can send a private message to other members. It is a bit like an internal email. Go to the thread you are interested in and 'click' on the username of the writer. You will be offered a pop-up woth a few options, one of which is the PM. You will need to put in a title for the PM or it will not be sent.

When you get an incoming PM you will get a pop-up box when you log on indicating the presence of the message and instructions on how to read it.