PDA

View Full Version : 2001 S80 2.5 diesel query.Newbie question.

SeanO'Connor
Aug 29th, 2008, 20:55
Hi guys I have searched the threads for an answer to this question, however I cant find one, so I apologise now if I am repeating something already raised.

Here goes I have a rattle, I can only describe as sounding like an old Vauxhall cavalier cam rattle, however it only appears under load, not when revving stood still. I thought it was possibly diesel knock, but I have never heard diesel knock before, so I am not to sure.

I have owned diesel cars before but this is my first Volvo, is this noise normal?

I have tried pressing the brake pedal a few times before, like mentioned elsewhere in the forum, to no avail.

I am not sure how to ID the engine type, it's a 5 cylinder 2.5 8 valve with the oil filler cap in the middle of the rocker cover. It also has a separate drive belt for the injection pump, to the timing belt(3 belts in total).

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers Sean.

Volvo-in-my-blood
Aug 29th, 2008, 21:59
If your model is badged as a 2.5D it will be the Audi derived unit.

Volvo-in-my-blood
Aug 29th, 2008, 22:03
The sticky thread above http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=41753 should help you correctly identify your engine.:thumbs_up:

jamiefc
Aug 30th, 2008, 20:14
Hi,
my 2000 new shape v70 2.5 ti does the same. I was also today thinking this question. I have just had the water pump and the 3 belts with tensioners repalced on the car @ 163k milage.
#
Maybe the noise is normal ? ?

SeanO'Connor
Aug 30th, 2008, 21:51
Hi,
my 2000 new shape v70 2.5 ti does the same. I was also today thinking this question. I have just had the water pump and the 3 belts with tensioners repalced on the car @ 163k milage.
#
Maybe the noise is normal ? ?

Feel a bit better for hearing that Jamie. Where are you based? maybe we could hear each others so as to speak.

jamiefc
Aug 31st, 2008, 15:56
Hi base in Glasgow,
but will be in Cardiff area or next 3 weeks or so

SeanO'Connor
Aug 31st, 2008, 18:29
Thats a shame mate, nowhere near me!