PDA

View Full Version : D5254T (to 2002, Audi) - timing belt change etc.

cboswell
Aug 31st, 2008, 09:13
Hi, from experience can anyone please give advice/tips on changing the belts/tensioners(97 v70 tdi) eg. best way to remove damper bolt without special locking tool. What size ring spanner required for tensioner? Do you need to loosen the camshaft sprocket?

Also has anyone cured the usual front crank oil leak - is it likely to be the crank seal or the oil pump gasket and any tips on dropping sump etc.

I have the volvo(vadis) and audi manuals and it doesn't look too difficult but until you try its hard to judge what obstacles you will meet.

any help greatly appreciated

thanks

BillB
Sep 1st, 2008, 13:18
I've just had mine done at a main dealer (with 10% discount parts/labour off an already comparatively low main dealer rate). I asked them to change the water pump and crankshaft seal (it was seeping oil a little). This was the 160k change. I considered doing this myself at some length (I also have a 740 which I've done 3 times) but the following put me off:

1. The crankshaft centre bolt is EXTREMELY tight. You need a restraining tool, either bought, borrowed or DIY. It has to be replaced to the correct torque which includes angle tightening : under-tightening may/will result in catastrophe. You need good tools and working facilities.

2. The belt tensioners have to be tensioned exactly - they can be too tight as well as too loose.

3. The lining up marks, I believe, are hard to see - they have to be spot on.

4. You musn't let the engine rotate whilst the belt is off.

5. The fuel pump (you would do its belt at the same time) has to be calibrated with Vadis (or Vida), although if your '97 has MSA15.7 (mechanical MAF) you can get a code reader that does this, I think.

If you're confident at dealing with this, go ahead - you'll save a bundle (about £300 for 4.5 hours labour in my case). But I have a guarantee if the engine blows. Regards.

cboswell
Sep 2nd, 2008, 10:34
thanks for your response. Did replacing the crank seal fix the leak? I wondered whether it was my pump gasket which was leaking -needs the sump/cross-member to be dropped to replace.

Did you get your old waterpump back to see/feel how worn the bearings were?

BillB
Sep 2nd, 2008, 12:45
I haven't checked the oil leak yet but the dealer has asked me to take it in after 1000 miles so I'll leave it to them (no charge!). They thought there might be slight leakage from the oil pump but I left that (too expensive them doing it).

I didn't think of asking for the w/pump back but maybe I should have. I'd change it whatever state it was in while the belt's off - not that expensive and I didn't want to leave the original pump in up to 240k. Regards.