PDA

View Full Version : D24TIC - Rare -auto gbox returns more mpg than manual

Laney760
Sep 1st, 2008, 14:41
I have read that this is one of the only engines in which fitted with an auto gearbox returns more mpg than when fitted with a manual. I've also read that when fitted with an auto it's pretty gutless, which makes sense to me knowing this engine now. Just asking out of interest really if anyone has their mpg figures from a D24TIC fitted with an auto and is it gutless?

jpliddy
Sep 1st, 2008, 21:14
hi i have the 940 TDI auto zf auto box i get 33 mpg local . i got 40 on my holiday trip to cornwall i drive quite carefull though it is a slugish car but that suits my driveing sorry to be a bit boring.
regards j.p.liddy

craig8661
Sep 2nd, 2008, 01:11
i couldnt tell you what mine did as was a manual look for a member called galixcy somthing he;s in southern irlend and has a auto d24 940

Peter Milnes
Sep 3rd, 2008, 05:06
I am afraid that my 764 GLE Turbodiesel only gave 29 mpg (auto), my 945 gives 35 plus mpg around local area (manual) and is proving quite frugal providing I keep down to about 60 mph on motorways (bit difficult as mine has 185 bhp). It is also quite frugal when towing my 1 ton caravan.

All the best, Peter. :car-smiley-031:

migrator
Sep 3rd, 2008, 13:09
I run a 760 GLE TurboDiesel (1989 F-reg). Weekly trip on a tank is 450 miles. The car is certainly not gutless. Motorway cruise is set at 80 and when necessary acceleration beyond that is fast. (No route given so I may still be OK. :) :) ) I have pulled car transporter trailer (with similar car aboard) and also Transit van bodied box trailer with no problems.

Laney760
Sep 3rd, 2008, 22:32
I am afraid that my 764 GLE Turbodiesel only gave 29 mpg (auto), my 945 gives 35 plus mpg around local area (manual) and is proving quite frugal providing I keep down to about 60 mph on motorways (bit difficult as mine has 185 bhp). It is also quite frugal when towing my 1 ton caravan.

The info I read did not state which auto gearbox they were talking about, I believe there's more than one type? I had a 4 speed auto in my 740 (petrol)which had a button on it so that you could shift down into 3rd easily (supposedly for hills and towing but great for overtaking). I read the thread about you having had yours tuned up to 185bhp, if I end up having a rebuild once it was run in I would be following suit, I did not realise that this could be done on a diesel, very interesting. Some of the mpg figures quoted on here for autos are very good indeed though. I had a Nissan (petrol) with an auto gearbox with an overdrive on it which returned 40pmg at very very high speeds (brilliant considering it was a 1991, I miss that car!).

Peter Milnes
Sep 4th, 2008, 05:03
Volvo 200, 700 and 900 diesel cars only use the ZF4 HP22 auto box. (except for 960 as they do not have a diesel engine for UK). Manual gearboxes are usually M46 with overdrive until around 1994 when they introduced the M90 gearbox. There is a 960 saloon on the register which had a D24TIC installed by the owner which proved very successful. They also used the ZF box in the 740 GLE (petrol).

By the way, Migrator, love your "see you, Jimmy" avatar and nice to see your mugshot.

migrator
Sep 4th, 2008, 11:55
Ooohh Peter - i didn't know you cared :) :)

One day I will organise a visit for 'tea & bikkies'. :kilt: