PDA

View Full Version : D5254T (to 2002, Audi) - Replacing the vacuum brake pump (it rattles!!)

reddy
Sep 12th, 2008, 17:06
I have what seems a fairly common problem with the Audi 2.5 tdi unit in that the brake vacuum pump makes an annoying rattle. I would be grateful for information on the cheapest place to buy a replacement and also if it would be a DIY job to fit.

Cheers, Jon

hog-man80
Sep 12th, 2008, 21:51
I had an intermittent rattle from the vacuum pump on my 940, I took it off to check it's condition, and after finding nothing broken I noticed a build up of carbon deposits around the one way valves, after cleaning these with brake cleaner it went back together and has since covered about 2 1/2 thousand miles with no rattles.

cywprof
Sep 13th, 2008, 11:51
interesting!

reddy
Sep 18th, 2008, 19:40
Thanks for the suggestion hog-man80. I'll try a clean and failing that will get a replacement from a breakers yard, about £50 or so as opposed to the cheapest I can find new £250+ (GSF)!! Having just got hold of an Audi 100/A6 Haynes manual I see that removal is a simple procedure even for a novice like me. It does say a new gasket/seal must be used when replacing. Would this be an item only available from Volvo?

The rattle is annoying, but is there a chance of total failure and loss of braking?

Thanks again.

Peter Milnes
Sep 19th, 2008, 02:32
If it is a Pierburg unit a new gasket should be included, although with care the old one can be used on 200/700/900 models.

hog-man80
Sep 21st, 2008, 22:00
My unit is a pierburg and sealed with an o'ring, I reused mine as it still seemed quite springy and there have been no leaks.
Paul.

richardm
May 6th, 2009, 18:54
hello,

I have the same problem with a rattling pump and from time to time a change in brake performance mid braking which is a bit worrying. Havent got a haynes manual but do you need to take the whole pump off from the block via the two bolts as the lower bolt seems innacesiible unless i take lots of pipes off first? My pump is Pierburg but has what looks like a cover mid way down which can be unscrewed instead? can anyone advise please as i'm wanting to just take it off and try a clean before i buy a new one?

Thanks

alv70d1999
Jul 11th, 2009, 12:46
might be a bit late but read this..

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=75954