PDA

View Full Version : Ground Clearance?

iCraig440
Oct 17th, 2008, 19:36
Hi Guys,

I've still not dipped my foot into Volvo ownership yet, as mainly my goalposts have moved.

I now drive down alot of greenlanes, so I need something with better* ground clearance.
How are 440s with this kind of thing?

*My Octavia always touches down on country roads, never mind green lanes!

Thanks

Craig

jlgrosvenor
Oct 17th, 2008, 20:56
The clearance is OK - a lot better than my Alfa 145 which you cannot park front over a curb because it will catch the bumper. This is not a problem with the 440.

The standard set up is, as you may guess, designed with comfort in mind rather than handling. To this end, if it is thrashed by a physcopath over very bumpy country roads and speed bumps, there should be no surprise to find it bottoms out. If this is your intended daily route AND driving style, you should consider a Bowler Wildcat or similar, rather than a 440. If not, a 440 will be a very comfortable ride. Also beware when you have four or five fatties inside, plus luggage, it can then bottom it out on many more lumps and bumps i.e. the car is now about 4 inches lower :shocked:

GTMaster
Oct 18th, 2008, 18:09
I'd say it's ok, but if you plan on going on uneven roads most of time then it'd be best if you either choose a different Volvo, or drive carefully :) The 400 series have a plastic cover under the engine. This lowers the clearence, but protects the sump. My plastic unfortunetly broke to pieces (due to being so low), so i don't have one on at the moment, but i'm planning on getting another one.

stevo48
Oct 18th, 2008, 21:03
The V40 would make a suitable car for that type of road as they tend to sit quite high and the suspension is pretty stiff so would help prevent bottoming out, depends on your budget really.