PDA

View Full Version : Life, the Universe and Engines

Ed
Mar 28th, 2002, 00:22
Please could someone help settle this evening's pub discussion! Will the engines from the 240 series (B21 I think) fit in to an Amazon with out too much work? I think not, but have fond memories of a tail happy 240 GLT and must admit the idea sounds fun......but is it possible?

daveslater
Mar 28th, 2002, 08:53
yes it will, use your oilpan , to bolt the engine upright and also the oil feed to it . www.turbobricks.org has a few threads on this already . Anythings possible !! sorry i cant help out with the universe thing - or life , since i dont own the universe i cant tell you whats in it !

ed
Apr 15th, 2002, 19:05
Thanks for that Dave - I guess the next question is... is it reasonable for me to buy a £100 240 with quiet engine and drop it into my 121 with just a few changes? I did put a 1500 midget engine into my herald a while back, bolted it all up. It ran beautifully but when I came to move, I couln't engage gear - whoops, wrong flywheel! I walked away in disgust and it's still sitting in the garage!x(

Andrew (UK)
Apr 18th, 2002, 12:32
I don't think it's quite as simple as Dave suggests. The engine is mounted on a slant in a 240, upright in a 121. So I believe that you will also have to:-

A) If using gear-box from 240
1) Cut bell-housing apart and weld back together rotated slightly to allow for upright engine mounting
2) Shorten/lengthen prop-shaft
3) Ensure flanges for prop-shaft to gear-box mate OK
4) Sort out gear-box rear mount
5) Sort out gear-selector linkage
6) If manual gear-box, sort out clutch issues
OR
B) If using gear-box from 121
Fabricate custom bell-housing from front of a 240 bell-housing (to mate to engine) and rear of a 121 bell-housing (to mate to gear-box).

You will also need to sort out air intake plumbing and exhaust manifold, not to mention coolant plumbing and electricals.

It is do-able, but you do need to think through all the issues very carefully and be prepared to custom fabricate some parts.