PDA

View Full Version : 440 non starter

440 bloke
Oct 29th, 2008, 18:03
After 12 years of starting first turn of the key my 96 1.6i 440 has finally let me down.

She's been surplus to requirements for 6 months ( i ride a motorcycle in the summer ) I start her up every 2 weeks take it round the block a few times operate everything, get the engine to operating temp. I stick a charger on it for 24 hours every time i do this.

This morning I decided to fix the horn ( MOT Time), I took it off, cleaned the contacts connected it to the battery to check and refitted it. The gear change gets stiff when not used much so I lubed up the linkages. Then I tried to start it......turns over no probs, not even showing a sign of firing.

Started fault finding, plugs were as dry as a bone even after much cranking so began to suspect the fuel system. Fuel light has been on a while so I stuck a gallon in. Then I noticed the fuel pump does not whirr/buzz when the key is first turned so I......

1. Took fuel supply pipe off the fuel delivery rail, turned ignition on nothing squirts out.

2. Checked the pump relay, clicks when ignition is turned on. bench tested it with a multimeter, seems ok.

3. There is power to the switch side of the relay.

4. By passed the relay with a jumper cable, pump runs.

running out of ideas now!

One question...... Do the fuel pumps run continuously or do they switch in and out? looking at the wiring diagram it appears to be connected to the ECU. I'm wondering if I somhow damaged the ECU with the charger/horn test, is this possible?

any help would be great.

GTMaster
Oct 29th, 2008, 18:06
I think the fuel pump has a fuse, so checking that might help. Maybe the removal of the battery stirred something up. It does to some cars. Try running a diagnostic check on it.
The fuel pump runs continuously. I think the newer 400's had it with their fuel pumps that whirr when the ignition is switched on, the older models, like mine, don't. The fuel pump only starts working when the engine's cranking.

440 bloke
Nov 9th, 2008, 13:29
Sorry for the delay in replying, I've checked the fuel system through and all seems ok. Turned my attention to the ignition system, cranked it over with a plug out and hey prsto no sparks!

I was dreading this, where do I start with an ECU based ignition system? I've checked the bits I understand eg leads and distributor all seems well.

Any advice on where to start would be great.

tom.

Baffler
Nov 12th, 2008, 01:47
Faulty flywheel position sensor? There have been some posts about poor/no spark due to this sensor being out of position or faulty.

Also the coil could be faulty?

Strange how these things happen. My past 480s always had some form of ghost in the machine :o

440 bloke
Nov 12th, 2008, 12:17
Crank position sensor is open circuit!

Will change and post back results.

cheers