PDA

View Full Version : Ice

pete-d
Nov 25th, 2008, 11:59
Hi folks,

I've just bought a 1992 460 CD Turbo automatic and the radio keeps forgetting its security code.

I have another standard DIN head unit I can put in its place. Before I start messting around, does anyone know whether phase one 460s came with standard wiring or will I need an adaptor?

Cheers

Pete

Paul240480
Nov 25th, 2008, 12:11
Hi Pete.

I think you need an adaptor. I replaced the one in my 480 (91') with a JVC CD/Radio & that did need one.................

Good Luck.

doomvolvo
Nov 25th, 2008, 13:00
I think it depends on the head unit. I changed the one in my K reg 440 xi and didnt have a problem. When I bought it (sony unit) it stated at halfords I would need an adaptor but when I got it home and popped it out of the dash it plugged in fine. When I upgraded to my L reg 2.0 440 again no adaptor needed just a straight plug in

pete-d
Jan 3rd, 2009, 21:11
Well folks this is becoming a bit of a problem so any suggestions would be appreciated.

The PC2-43-4 harness adapter that all the reference books says should work doesn't fit the physical connectors on the car. It seems that the Volvo supplied VC601 radio on this model has different connectors. A bit of fiddling around and the assistance of my local Halfords identified the correct adapter as a PC2-16-4. This certainly physically fits the wiring in the car - it's a standard DIN to ISO converter.

I have checked and the adapter connects the pins across as expected. I have used a multimeter to check that the harness adaptor is actually working and all the cables carry current when it's applied. So basically I am 99% certain I have the right harness adaptor and that it's working OK.

I have also checked the fuse in the car and that's fine - it's the same circuit as the glovebox light. When I reinstall the VC 601 it works fine so I know there's no fundamental problem with the wiring into the harness adaptor.

I'm therefore at a loss as to why I can't get a radio connected to the harness adaptor to work. I have tried 2 different Kenwood head units (one of which I know worked fine when I took it out of my 760 in the summer) and neither of them powers up!

The only potential problem that I can see is that neither of these Kenwood head units has the pin in the connector for the dash light dimmer. I don't think this is a problem as on the 760 this pin was not connected and the head unit worked fine. I have checked the fuses in both head units and they seem fine...

Any thoughts?

Pete

pete-d
Jan 4th, 2009, 16:57
Problem solved.

I wasn't tracing the wires correctly - there was no constant 12v for the haed unit's battery. This has not been facilitated and I have entertainment once more :-)

Pete