PDA

View Full Version : Project 440-Air Intake Filter

440nutcase
Dec 11th, 2008, 23:33
Hi everyone

Part one of my quest! the airfilter. I have seen lots of tutorials on the internet about fitting cone air filters, but was wondering if it was possible to fit them onto a standard Filter Hose.

Just hoping so, then i can dive straight in rather than try to find a metallic piece :(

Pics when I get a answer and have fitted it woo!

B20F
Dec 12th, 2008, 08:53
Yes you can stuck a cone filter straight on the standard airhose.
Be sure the cone filter sucks cold outside air, the colder the better. If it is under the bonnet without a cold air feed it will decrease power & economy.

doomvolvo
Dec 12th, 2008, 09:03
I got a cheap Vauxhall corsa Pipecross cone filter that fits perfectly on the 440 induction hoses. You can adjust the old air box to feed it cold air. The filter was rated for more power than the volvo was going to produce so it wasnt restrictive.
Picked up a little better in the low revs and the sound under full load was awesome.
On a note it is advisable to use the bottom half of the original air box as this has a device in it to draw air from around the manifold. This helps bring the engine up to operating temperature faster so you can give it the full beans earlier. I found with full cold air induction on my 1.8 though in frosty weather it would cause problems. Something about the fuel not atomising properly although this might have been an excuse by my mechanic.

GTMaster
Dec 13th, 2008, 17:46
I don't think there would be problems with fuel atomisation, because in an injector engine the correct amount of fuel is injected to the 'corresponding' air amount. The main problem with the full cold air intake in winter, is high fuel consumption. And of course, if the engine runs a lot on a rich mixture, then there might be lubrication problems too.

B20F
Dec 14th, 2008, 14:51
I don't think there would be problems with fuel atomisation, because in an injector engine the correct amount of fuel is injected to the 'corresponding' air amount. The main problem with the full cold air intake in winter, is high fuel consumption. And of course, if the engine runs a lot on a rich mixture, then there might be lubrication problems too.
This was true on older engines, the lambda etc. will prevent it running rich for too long. But you're right that an engine in winter use more fuel than in summer, but nothing to be worrying about. The main benefit of a cold air intake is more power, the original air intake is constructed that way.
Only the carb version needs a warmed up air intake in winter, the injection versions not. They have an air temp sensor fitted in the air intake hose to fine tune the amount of injected fuel needed.

440nutcase
Dec 16th, 2008, 18:00
Rite then

Cheers everyone Ill buy one and Sitck it on.

the guy at halfords obviously had no idea what he was talking about

Pics soon!

DmcL
Dec 16th, 2008, 19:14
i have done this to every car i have ever owned. from experience something sealed with cold air ducting works best. if u extend the intake pipe too much and relocate the filter to a colder area u tend to lose initial throttle response.

open cone filters like most induction kits seem good only for sucking in hot air and extra noise.

the likes of the BMC sealed intake or if your pockets arent that deep the halfords equivalent will do perfectly. alternately if ur a real cheapskate buying a universal cone filter (preferably with a shield around it, not for heat reduction, for water protection) and extending the intake pipework into a corner behind the front bumper or down about level with the bottom of the sump and pointing downwards works tho u should be careful not to drive thru big puddles. i believe some of the anericak tuner companies have created a bypass valve that is supposed to stop water from being taken into the engine should the filter be submerged.

the low positioned filter may sound bad but from experience i have never had any issues with water getting into the engine and all i did was pay attention when driving and not go speeding thru puddles or trying to ford small rivers lol

GTMaster
Dec 16th, 2008, 20:51
Quote:"This was true on older engines, the lambda etc. will prevent it running rich for too long. But you're right that an engine in winter use more fuel than in summer, but nothing to be worrying about. The main benefit of a cold air intake is more power, the original air intake is constructed that way.
Only the carb version needs a warmed up air intake in winter, the injection versions not. They have an air temp sensor fitted in the air intake hose to fine tune the amount of injected fuel needed"

Yeah, i know, i'm still tuned to older engines :) But i don't see much point to a cold air intake for everyday driving. It'll just push fuel consumption up. Having a cone air filter without driving cold air to it won't give the engine much more power, but it'll have better throttle response.

440nutcase
Dec 26th, 2008, 14:50
Rite then its on!!!

I have put a couple of pics up. to critizie its setup!

Is it in rite place? Will this Affect Fuel economy or performance?

What can i do (on the cheap- im a student) to improve it?

Cheers

Next up....lowering springs

440nutcase
Dec 26th, 2008, 15:04
I forgot....

Here are the pics!!!!

http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/2792/imgp0592xa4.th.jpg
(http://img389.imageshack.us/my.php?image=imgp0592xa4.jpg)

B20F
Dec 27th, 2008, 10:14
Imho, this is not the most effective place to put the filter. I think you're worse off then how it was in the original setup. The only benefit this setup gives you is more noise, not more performance.Better to put the cone inside the airbox so it draws cold air from the original airfeed. In the place where it is now it draws all the hot air from the exhaust manifold. Take a look at this topic from the 480europe forum to get the idea:
http://volvo480.dragons.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17422
and this one:
http://volvo480.dragons.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14588

440nutcase
Dec 27th, 2008, 13:23
Hey,

That is only a temporary place, as i type im on the phone to anywhere that i can get hold of a slightly longer hose! I did try to put it in the Original box but it wouldn't reach!

Plus at this time of the year everywhere is blooming shut just my look!

Ill tell ya when i got hold of one!

doomvolvo
Dec 30th, 2008, 08:05
Yeah pop the filter in the original airbox for a partial fix. I ran an extra cold air feed up to the box as well and used some shiny heat shield tape on the outside of the box to reflect a little heat away from the filter area. If you were feeling fancy you could pull the air box out and construct a new one in there with your own feeds and shielding