PDA

View Full Version : Weird clunking noise - steering?

ahal
Jan 1st, 2009, 15:28
Hi everyone and Happy new year :-)

A couple of months ago I ran into not one, not two but four bloody potholes in succession. All on the left. For a good while after the steering felt seriously light, but returned to normal within the day.

I don't have much opportunity to examine the car underneath ( it's quite low, nowhere to jack it up right now ) but I've noticed since that at times I tend to get a weird noise from somewhere in the steering mechanism ( from what I can tell ). It's not a loud noise, but rather like hitting a chassis member with a hammer, and it tends to happen when I'm doing a long, sweeping turn.

I can't be sure ( may be paranoia ) but I think I'm getting a slight bit of feedback through the steering at the same time ( but only in tandem with the noise, normal at all other times ). Also, the steering boss doesn't sit straight like it used to in a straight line.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tony.

Baffler
Jan 1st, 2009, 17:11
Broken spring? Anti roll bar bushing and links? Best way to check is to get it up on a four poster lift and apply a pry-bar to the ARB and control arms (wishbones). Have someone full lock the steering from left to right while you watch what's going on.