PDA

View Full Version : 440 Temp Issues

340drew
Jan 3rd, 2009, 17:05
Hi i am posting on behalf of my dad,
looking for some help on a problem it has developed

he has a 440si, i believe it is a 1.8 injection, which has developed a fault after having some timing issues.

last month the car mysteriously died and would not start. the AA were called and the problem was diagnosed to be the timing.

car was taken to the garage that my dad has been using for years and was got up and running again. . .

all was good until the car developed a new fault . . .

now the car will start, but runs rather lumpy until it gets up to temp.
once warmed up the car will cut out whenever the throttle is fully closed - very annoying for city driving - and the temp gague will go right up into the red. i am sure that the car is not overheating as the fan has not been coming on, and the coolant does not seem to be hotter than normal operating temperature.

our mechanic suggested that it might be the sender for the temp sensor/thermostat . . .

i was wandering if anyone could post up a pic of where to get at the temp sensor to check it out, and perhaps send me a link to where i could purchase a new one, as ebay has not brough up any results. . .

forgot to mention the car is an L plate

Any help that anyone could offer would be great,

cheers in advance

Andrew

veegard
Jan 14th, 2009, 09:22
I got new temp sensors from my Volvo dealer here in Norway, yesterday.
Cost me about 20£ for the engine sensor one.
Thermostat is a universal, cost me 10£.
If you look at the engine from the front of the car, at the right side, at the rightmost cylinder. Look behind the engine, you will se a thick hose for cooling water, and below it is a brass nut with a sensor with a single wire in it. That's the temp sensor for the dash.
But I've been told the gauge itself is usually a source of the problem.. But I don't know yet, guess I will find out since I have a problem with either one of them myself.
In any case, that sensor does not affect engine performance at all.
Cooling is very basic for this car..
I think it goes something like this:
Expansion tank => Radiator => Engine = > Thermostat

Cooling water stays inside engine if water is below 95 degrees. Starts circulating through radiator once it is above, as the thermostat opens up for flow out of the engine.
Radiator cools passively until it reaches 95 degrees, where it turns on the radiator fan. If the water reaches 105 degrees, the fan will run at full effect.

No electronic management of any sorts..