PDA

View Full Version : Cold 440td won't start

kitjwright
Jan 10th, 2009, 21:14
my 440td has been stood over christmas and new year and when I turn her over she clicks like a type writer but no ignition. We've tried jumping her to no avail and a friend suggested the starter motor might be jammed and to try tapping it with a hammer. Good thing to do? If so where is it? and any advice.
Thank you!
my imobiliser was on...could this have stuck? although light goes off when key fob pressed and is no longer on.

stevo48
Jan 10th, 2009, 21:57
Sounds like a starter motor issue, sounds like your starter solenoid might be sticking you could try giving it a clout with a hammer or you could put the car in 2nd gear and rock it back and forth then see if it will turn over or you could even try bump starting it.

kitjwright
Jan 10th, 2009, 22:04
Hi there...
where and what does the starter motor look like...I had a look but it doesn't say in the owner book and I had looked on line and some say it's easier to get to underneath. Thanks for the reply and I hope you can add abit more...thanks!

Clan
Jan 10th, 2009, 22:13
If the starter solenoid is clicking away about 10 times a second it suggests a flat battery , jump leads are notorious for overheating and not going the job especialy on a diesel which demands more current to turn it over and start it , either change your battery or charge it and hopefully it will start ok ...

kitjwright
Jan 12th, 2009, 16:56
Thank you...new battery, and away! Just need to sort out very hot something under drivers side wheel arch now! Brakes?