PDA

View Full Version : Broke the airing valve... Fine w/o, and how do I seal it?

veegard
Jan 20th, 2009, 09:41
So, I was working on my radiator, and my dad stopped by and started tampering with the airing valve on the T-intersection right behind the engine there.
It's a non-return valve (or however you write that in English) and it's supposed to be screwed open and closed. It was old and crispy, and the part you screw open fell off, leaving the valve open. Tried first just ducttaping it and using a couple of strips, didn't work too good.

Now I'm gonna try to seal it by using some sealant I have, then putting the broken part on again, then taping over it, then using one strip to hold it down and two around it to try to make it more tight.

The strip is gonna have a bent shape on top of the valve, since the surface is flat. What's the best way to get maximum pressure with a round strip on a flat surface?

Thanks!
will make illustration later!

B20F
Jan 20th, 2009, 16:35
Just replace the hose I would advice. If the airing valve is old and crispy so is the hose, those are known to blow! You don''t want that to happen on the highway. It's Volvo part#3466430 I paid €38,00 6 months ago. Luckily it blew on my own drive way!

veegard
Jan 21st, 2009, 23:05
Is the hose a whole part running from the block, to the rad, and to the heater matrix or?

B20F
Jan 22nd, 2009, 19:34
It's a 3way hose. Smallest end to the throttle housing, to the heater matrix and from the engine.

scottishvolvo
Jan 22nd, 2009, 20:58
If it is similar to the air bleed on my S40, I fitted a large self tapper in its place with a washer underneath.

veegard
Jan 23rd, 2009, 07:15
Well, S40 is the followup car, so maybe it is.. Sounds like a smart fix.

As it's a cheap car, i made a cheap fix.

Made two tracks in a plastic cork, so that it would hold the strips firmly in place. Put it on top of the valve, with the broken-off valvetop underneath, stripsed it with some heavy duty strips.. Now, it does come air out of it when I pump the hose, but there's been no water coming out over a few days time now.