PDA

View Full Version : Mindless 'repairs' - help!

ahal
Jan 24th, 2009, 10:59
Okay folks, first off pardon the lack of technically brilliant jargon :-) I took the 440 to a local garage which ( not surprisingly ) is no longer in business. This was an attempt to cure the stalling problem I'm sure you're all tired of hearing about ( 18 mths + ).

To cut a long story short, as far as I'm concerned they did nothing to the car, apart from the old 'mechanic's trick' of replacing a few obvious things to make it look good. One of these was the pipe which recirculates petrol vapours ( unburnt ) from the front of the engine to the back. They just used a black foamy pipe, much thicker / bigger than the original.

Does this matter? Also, you know the aluminium flexipipe ( like a cooker pipe ) that comes out of the air filter and goes back towards the manifold ... should that have holes in it? I'm sure it didn't before.

Any help much appreciated, thanks.

Tony.

S60-MBS
Jan 24th, 2009, 12:17
Okay folks, first off pardon the lack of technically brilliant jargon :-) I took the 440 to a local garage which ( not surprisingly ) is no longer in business. This was an attempt to cure the stalling problem I'm sure you're all tired of hearing about ( 18 mths + ).

To cut a long story short, as far as I'm concerned they did nothing to the car, apart from the old 'mechanic's trick' of replacing a few obvious things to make it look good. One of these was the pipe which recirculates petrol vapours ( unburnt ) from the front of the engine to the back. They just used a black foamy pipe, much thicker / bigger than the original.

Does this matter? Also, you know the aluminium flexipipe ( like a cooker pipe ) that comes out of the air filter and goes back towards the manifold ... should that have holes in it? I'm sure it didn't before.

Any help much appreciated, thanks.

Tony.
Hey Tony,that flexipipe should have holes in it I believe my 440 has it too.what engine is your 440?..I have fuel vapour issues too but i been told its the breather pipe.

Baffler
Jan 24th, 2009, 19:13
Hi Tony,

I have a feeling you might need an original pipe for the crank case ventilation. That flexi alu hose is to send warm air from the manifold to the air intake/filter on a cold start and the holes allow cool air in when it's hot.

If you're passing this way drop in and we'll put our heads together.

ahal
Jan 24th, 2009, 22:01
S60-Driver: Thanks, it's the B20F I think, 1.8 Mono point injection thingummy, Renault.

Baffler: Thanks also, I was down in Tipp but it was for about 3 hours: the teabags had fused together with damp, and the bed felt wet so I threw on the heating and came back to Dublin lmao ... will be making my 'comeback tour' monday morning :-)

ahal
Jan 24th, 2009, 22:03
Ooh, excuse me ...

I meant S60-MBS, sorry to confuse you with that horrible person who used to frequent the forums called S60Driver :-p