PDA

View Full Version : Ignition light bulb change

steve-i
Feb 7th, 2009, 20:14
Hi my bulb has blown or not working, tried to remove the lower cover but there seem to be fixings behind steering wheel. can anyone confirm this, as do not know how to remove steering wheel with air bag.
cheers

veegard
Feb 8th, 2009, 02:28
The bulb that is lit up when the car is running?

To remove dashboard, you can refer to the Haynes book.
Basically, if you have lhd, you remove the plastic cover around the instrument panel, remove two screws at the left side of the instrument panel, then push the panel to the left while you pull it towards you. It is not screwed on on the right side, merely slotted in a crack. Remember to disconnect speedo cable before you do this, and disconnect it at the dashboard side, along with all other electrical wires before you take the dashboard out.
Once you have it out, it's pretty much straight forward.

All this info was taken from another thread about bad temp meter readings, either from this forum or volvo-forums.com, look around for more info! :)

Edit: You do NOT have to remove the steering wheel in order to do this. Just put it in the lowest position and you will be fine.

steve-i
Feb 8th, 2009, 17:20
No this is the light that light up the key barrell. I believe there is a light in there. I have a haynes manual and it does not say anything about removing the steering wheel, but it looks to as there is 2 screws that is holding the cover in place.
Cheers

GTMaster
Feb 8th, 2009, 18:07
Simple. Just turn the steering wheel 90 degrees from horizontal, remove the two screws, and one screw on the bottom of the bottom cover. Then you'll see next to the indicator and window washer stalks this plastic thingy that you have to push in. The bottom cover then can be slided off. If you're lucky, then the bulb just fell out of it's place. If that's the case, then put a bit of silicon sealant on the bulb slot, then next time it won't shake out of position.
Also make sure that the courtesy light is put into position where it glows when the door is open. If it still doesn't light up, push the rubber thingy (that closes or opens the circuit, below the door lock), cos on older cars it tends to be sluggish, (like on mine).