PDA

View Full Version : 480 convertable

frogster
Feb 20th, 2009, 01:15
Does anyone remember this, saw it yesterday at CP Motors (inside of course) spoke to the owner and he may bring it to the National at Thorseby.

myatt1972
Feb 20th, 2009, 21:34
I saw that when I was there, did volvo make them or is it an aftermarket job?

P.S I went there for some second hand parts and found Colin very helpful .

M D E
Feb 20th, 2009, 23:11
I'm affraid this is an aftermarket one ... All of the 12 (i think it was 12) convertible ones were destroyed by Volvo after the safety tests ... I know this as I know one of the designers of the 480 who tried to buy one before they cut them up ....

Roge1
Feb 25th, 2009, 13:52
Hi all,

Yeah the convertible 480 is a strange beast! CP Motors brought theirs along to the Volvo marque day @ Gaydon in 2007, then one of the 'original' convertibles was shown at the Classic Car Show at the NECC a few months later. Not too many differences between them, with the exception that the original had problems retracting the roof (apparently).

Not sure if a soft-top 480 is a good idea anyway - my Celeb often leaks like a sieve, and it isn't even one with a sunroof!!..

Then again, what's a 'classic car' without a few quirks!??..

Roge1

ahal
Feb 25th, 2009, 15:47
It's a pity the 480 convertible never came into being ... I seem to remember reading somewhere that the company that made the hoods went under and the project was abandoned. The line of the 480 suits the convertible look better than 90% of conversions ... my opinion of course.

I think there are only 2 factory convertibles left ... pity it never became a reality. I wonder how the bodyshell lends itself to being modified like that? I'd be interested in finding out more.

ahal
Feb 25th, 2009, 15:49
I'm affraid this is an aftermarket one ... All of the 12 (i think it was 12) convertible ones were destroyed by Volvo after the safety tests ... I know this as I know one of the designers of the 480 who tried to buy one before they cut them up ....

Didn't International Automotive Design ( I.A.D.) in Britain have a part in the development of the 480, and possibly MIRA as well? I seem to recall the guy who did the Panther Solo ( remember that? ) being involved? Can't think of his name ... but he lectures in Coventry Design college now.

Auk
Mar 9th, 2009, 22:42
Didn't International Automotive Design ( I.A.D.) in Britain have a part in the development of the 480, and possibly MIRA as well? I seem to recall the guy who did the Panther Solo ( remember that? ) being involved? Can't think of his name ... but he lectures in Coventry Design college now.

All true :thumbs_up: