PDA

View Full Version : help me

Feb 24th, 2009, 21:04
hi there i have recently brought a 1994 volvo 440 1.8 i and i took the battery off to charge it. i put the battery on the next morning and it wouldnt start. i have traced the problem back to no power getting to the coil/ecu. have you got any suggestions for things i could try.
help will be appreciated. thanks sam

AndysR
Feb 24th, 2009, 21:07
Does the engine crank but not fire then? May well be due to the engine ecu not receiving a signal from the crankshaft position sensor or, if it has one fitted, a camshaft position sensor therefore the ecu won't send a signal for the coil to fire?

Feb 24th, 2009, 21:08
yes it cranks fine and but just no spark.

Feb 24th, 2009, 21:09
wouold this have stopped working overnight though?

AndysR
Feb 24th, 2009, 21:11
Could have done, on certain car's not sure if it is the same on the 440 but the camshaft position sensor is used for starting purposes and then signals from it after the engine has fired are ignored and therefore if the sensor goes faulty after the engine has been started then the first you would know about it would be when attempting to start the engine the next time you go to drive the car,.

Feb 24th, 2009, 21:13
how would i go about checking it? and would a new one cost much?

AndysR
Feb 24th, 2009, 21:16
I would expect to see a pulse signal from the sensor if you have the ability to check for that, re. costs I have no idea to guess I would say somewhere between £80-£150 for the part plus fitting possibly more depending on the supplier.

Feb 24th, 2009, 21:23
when cranking over i have got a contant signal on 1 wire. and that signal isnt there when it isnt cranking. could this be that signal?

AndysR
Feb 24th, 2009, 21:39
when cranking over i have got a contant signal on 1 wire. and that signal isnt there when it isnt cranking. could this be that signal?

Is this on the crank or camshaft sensor?? It doesn't sound right in any case but then I am not clued up on the specifics of the 440 management so please don't take that as the be all and end all ;)..

Feb 24th, 2009, 21:41
i dont know where the wire is coming from i checked the signal at the coil end of the wire.

AndysR
Feb 24th, 2009, 21:46
Sounds like the coil isn't getting a feed from the ecu my guess would be to start with checks on the crank and if fitted cam sensors as it's probably down to a faulty crank or cam position sensor.

Feb 24th, 2009, 21:47
ok then thanks for that i will check those tomorrow and let you know what happens.

B20F
Feb 25th, 2009, 09:24
Prob. the system relay gone bad. It's behind the dash under the frontscreen. The're 2 relais, one system with the black socket and one fuel with white socket and next to it there's a fuse. Can you hear the fuelpump prime for a second when you move the ign.key on contact? The fuelpump is under the backseats, that's where the sound should be coming from.
The easiest to do is to first read out the stored fault codes from the diagnostic box.
http://www.am.torun.pl/~ja/volvo/diagnostic-system.shtml

veegard
Feb 25th, 2009, 10:47
There was no fuse on my car, though.
Listen for fuel pump, that will eliminate a whole world of problems. Also measure voltage to coil, and check properly for sparks.

Mar 1st, 2009, 18:13
it is a 1994 car is it possible that it has an immobilser?
also i have the remote keyfobs for the car but have had to change the battery. how do you reprogramme them in?

Mar 3rd, 2009, 21:21
please someone help

S60-MBS
Mar 3rd, 2009, 21:28
it is a 1994 car is it possible that it has an immobilser?
also i have the remote keyfobs for the car but have had to change the battery. how do you reprogramme them in?

programming.

Access underbonnet daignostic unit.
Insert selector cable into socket 1.
lock and unlock vehicle using remote control.

switch ignition on .
press test button 4 times.
check LED illuminates.
program remote control as follows.
press test button 3 times.
check LED illuminates .
check LED illuminates.
check LED illuminates.
press unlock button on remote control.

Mar 3rd, 2009, 21:30
i cant unlock and lock with the remote though because it isnt programmed in. thats the problem