PDA

View Full Version : 440 1.8 SRI Die's on Me when Driving ?

richie-coop
Mar 4th, 2009, 17:13
I have a 440 1.8 SRI it has died on three times over the last month while I have been driving, had the fuel pump checked OK at volvo garage, injector OK
It has plenty of petrol, turns over but will not fire. I leave it for a while then it start OK and runs as if nothing is wrong with it.
Has full service history since 95.
Any ideas would be helpful.

Richie-coop

B20F
Mar 6th, 2009, 21:48
Read out the diagnostic box and see which fault codes it gives. First suspect is the flywheel sensor. It's located under the distributor where the gearbox is linked with the engine. The sensor is held down with a halfmoon shaped bracket with 2 11mm bolts. Remove the bolts, clean the sensor tip with contact spray and a toothbrush. 10min job.

Clan
Mar 6th, 2009, 21:55
I wouldnt rely too much on fault codes from these , they can easily lead you up the garden path ,it was early days in terms of diagnostic codes ;-)
have a look at the relays in the relay box and hanging under the dash on the right above your accelerator foot , they can go faulty after some years .

ahal
Mar 12th, 2009, 21:11
I always suspect alternators. In my experience 440 alternators are a definite weak spot. I've gone through 3 of them in 8 years.

Best of luck.

Tony

richie-coop
Mar 28th, 2009, 16:01
Manythanks everyone for your help :) The fault was found to be the relay
under the dash ! Which controls the fuel to the injector.
Checked fuel first to injector, No fuel then went to fuel pump OK then checked the wiring from pump to fuse box OK checked fuse OK then found out which relay from fuel pump replaced and she fired up :)