PDA

View Full Version : Twin SUs overhaul

barrimore england davis
May 7th, 2002, 09:56
Can any one advise me please. In twin SU's the jet (needle) is supposed to bend slightly towards the engraved line on the brass retaining collar. I have no such markings on my pistons / pots. The manual shows it must bend to the right, when you have the tightening screw facing you. Surely with twin SU's this is OK for the left hand one, but the right( being the other way around) bends the opposite way?
Also the right hand pot will not sink fully, unless the nozzle (brass collar) has been nearly fully screwed out. Is this OK, as it must be 7 turns lower than the left hand pot..will this effect choking??

I am very frustrated and spent 5 hours trying to get them both to sink in tandem, and not leave a mm gap. I still get a very small gap on the right hand one, but no matter how many angles I move the needle, it will not sink fully with the brass nozzle in place (it does when the nozzle is removed !!)

Does this make any difference, or am I being too fussy ??

Thanks

Baz

Clifford Pope
May 7th, 2002, 10:18
Are you sure about this bent needle ? I thought that kind of carb had to have dead straight needles otherwise they fouled the jet, which has to be centralised.
If you are saying you cannot make the needle clear the jet to let the piston fall unless you unscrew it fully, then you will seriously over-enrichen the mixture.
If SUs work like Strombergs then I can give a lot of advice on how to centralise and set up the jets. But they may as you say work in a different way.

barrimore england davis
May 7th, 2002, 10:30
I would have thought so as well, but the haynes manual show a picture of the pot with a bent needle (there may be two sorts??), as you say if the pot does not fall completely and the jet is wound out too far the mixture will be too rich...maybe buy a new needle??

Baz

davemorris
Aug 14th, 2002, 21:19
Yes you are being too fussy.
But do try a differnt viscosity oil in the damper pots i.e heavier oil in the one that rises quicker.