PDA

View Full Version : Help With V8 PV444????!

waterhead1
Mar 8th, 2009, 23:00
Help guys! My brother has purchased a 1957 PV444 that is too far gone to restore so he wants to create a neat little street rod resto/mod with it. He has already purchased a 289 Ford motor and C4...but now he's freakin because he thinks it will not fit without cutting out the firewall. Anyone here have a v8 in one? Or can you point me in the right direction for more info or pics??? I know I saw some pics somewhere on the web a yr or so ago of a few with v8s in them and it didnt look like the firewall was cut out...Thanks...he's driving me nuts!

loon
Mar 9th, 2009, 23:34
whilst this is a good idea that has been done before i think that if your brother is woried about the firewall then maybe he should do something else with it as there are a lot more things more important to worry about i.e.
can the chassis cope? (probably not)
so how/who is going to build a chassis?
how is it going to stop?
what suspention to use?
what size wheels and tyres?
what axle?
who is going to narrow said axle?

and much more, so the fire wall is near the bottom of the list

agent_strangelove
Mar 10th, 2009, 15:49
There is a guy locally that did alot of work to cram a Ford 5-Liter in a 444. There was quote a bit of cutting to fit it in. I don't think he used any of the Volvo running gear. He ended up widening both the front and rear fenders. He did a LOT of work on it. I have riden in it and it's scary fast....

PaulWphoto
Mar 11th, 2009, 00:47
Agree with loon - so much fabrication involved sheet metal is the least of his problems. personally i like to drive slowly in my 1800S which is a good thing as i don't really have a choice.

Alf ista
Mar 11th, 2009, 00:55
These are all true.....but there is nothing like the sound of a V8 to stir the senses................:swoon:

loon
Mar 11th, 2009, 18:31
don't get me wrong im into customs and hot rods
afterall im building an amazon powerd model t then am puting my chevy 305ci into a amazon saloon or estate not sure yet, but the bulkhead will be coming out so the engine is set back a bit for better weight distribution
but the point i was making was the bulk head it very minor in comparison to the other bits that need doing first

Alf ista
Mar 11th, 2009, 19:35
Indeed you are right Loon. It would be a lot of work, and something you would want to be sure to get yourself into.
Now, what you are doing sounds very interesting! Amazon powered Model T and Chevy powered Amazons.......groovy! Would love to see some info and pics of that up here........

wolfie
Mar 31st, 2009, 19:41
I know a chap that fitted a Mazda 13b rotary into a Duet van! Did some work on suspension and brakes to cope. MAN.............Did that sound good !!! Went like a bat out of hell !!!