PDA

View Full Version : Pop up lights don't

mmcare00
Mar 17th, 2009, 18:12
I fitted a towbar and single (7 pin) electrics to my 93 2.0 ES last week and all seemed well until I tried to put the headlamps on.

Now the pop up lights won't come up, and only one headlight comes on. Also, the sidelights on the trailer don't come on either (though indicators and brakelights are fine)

I've checked the relay, which is ok, and disconnected the feeds from the towbar electrics to the trailer sidelights. But the problem remains.

I am able to manually raise the headlamps using the wheel at the back of each. However, as soon as I start the car, the headlamps go back down again.

Any ideas?

Martin

Clan
Mar 17th, 2009, 19:23
depends where you wired the trailer wires to , if you tagged them on the back of the rear lights and used them to feed a trailer light board you have probably burned out the bulf fail sensor ....

Paul240480
Mar 17th, 2009, 20:50
Temp' fix ,if you need the lights. Wind them up & pull the motor fuse. It also 'works' the lighted keyhole 'mode' so you'll lose that for the time being.

Hope you get it sorted properly soon:thumbs_up:

mmcare00
Mar 17th, 2009, 21:16
depends where you wired the trailer wires to , if you tagged them on the back of the rear lights and used them to feed a trailer light board you have probably burned out the bulf fail sensor ....

Thanks for that :) However, I wouldn't know - the bulb fail light has been on for the past two months, despite me replacing a lot of the bulbs...

Is there a particular problem associated with attaching trailer electrics to the rear lights? I found no problem on my 92 480, but then again, the manual actually covered that version of the car. I haven't seen any wiring diagrams for a 2.0 litre car.

mmcare00
Mar 17th, 2009, 21:18
Temp' fix ,if you need the lights. Wind them up & pull the motor fuse. It also 'works' the lighted keyhole 'mode' so you'll lose that for the time being.

Hope you get it sorted properly soon:thumbs_up:

Cheers, Ill probably do this tomorrow, although it still doesn't get around the fact that one headlamp doesn't come on now. Any ideas why this might be?

Clan
Mar 17th, 2009, 21:19
at the end of 1993 the bulb fail device was reduced in its coverage on the 480 , But its always been bad practice to connect towbar wiring direct to the rear lights on a Volvo as the extra current of the trailer lights is likely to overload the current sensing bulb fail devices located in the rear ...

Volvo Wiring diagrams for the 400 ended around 1994 and any mods after this were covered by suppliments which were non to easy to fathom out!

B20F
Mar 17th, 2009, 21:48
Try this (http://volvo480.northernscum.org.uk/files/92-94wiring.pdf) for the supplemental el.diagrams 92-94. It's from the download page 480-europe.