PDA

View Full Version : Timing belt issues again

one eared steve
Mar 18th, 2009, 17:56
Well here we go again!!.
Started to do my timing belt on a b18u this morning and all was going well.
Found tdc for no1 piston and marked and checked all positions twice just to be doubly sure it was locked correctly.Removed the locking pin and locked the starting ring gear so i could undo the crank pulley but the bolt on the pulley will not budge,it's not rusty in fact it is immaculatly clean,tried penetrating oil on it and then beat the cr@p out of it but it will not budge.
Any ideas on how to shift it as mt tensioner is squeling like a pig when cold and won't last much longer.
cheers for any help steve

B20F
Mar 18th, 2009, 21:17
Why you want to remove the crank pulley? You just have to slacken the belt by means of the tensioner pulley. Which can be done by removing the plastic innerwing.
Check this (http://volvo480.dragons.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14059) thread from the 480-europe forum. Takes you through the procedure step by step with pics.

myatt1972
Mar 18th, 2009, 21:37
Find a friendly garage who will crack it off with an airgun and pinch it back up so you can drive home and do the rest.
Keith...

one eared steve
Mar 19th, 2009, 15:03
you need to take the crank pulley of in order to locate the timing mark on the gear behind it so as to be able to set your belt up properly.
i might go and ask a friendly garage and see if they will crack it for me but as most of them around here are in to daylight robbery not sure if it's worth the agro.
i will have another go at the weekend if i get the chance.
cheers anyway steve

B20F
Mar 19th, 2009, 20:22
Look at pics 5&6 of the link howto put the engine in TDC. You can lock the crankshaft at tdc with a 7mm drillbit, put in the hole of the removed bolt. On top of the camcover you can see where tdc marking is.
So first replace camcover, put engine in tdc, lock the crankshaft with the drillbit and remove the cover after you've marked the position of the camshaft so you can controll tdc while putting on the belt.

one eared steve
Mar 19th, 2009, 20:49
Finding tdc is not the problem.
After finding tdc you have to take the cabbelt pulley of as to enable you to takt the belt of.
In the picture on the 480 link over you see the crankshaft pulley with the v belt still attached,you need to take the v belt of which is a five minute job and then the pulley so you can get to the timing belt sprocket and timing mark wich is a notch on the sprocket on the crank.With the pulley on you can not do this properly that i can see and i certainly took it of on another 440 timing belt that i did,
cheers steve

ammoville
Mar 22nd, 2009, 00:39
Well here we go again!!.
Started to do my timing belt on a b18u this morning and all was going well.
Found tdc for no1 piston and marked and checked all positions twice just to be doubly sure it was locked correctly.Removed the locking pin and locked the starting ring gear so i could undo the crank pulley but the bolt on the pulley will not budge,it's not rusty in fact it is immaculatly clean,tried penetrating oil on it and then beat the cr@p out of it but it will not budge.
Any ideas on how to shift it as mt tensioner is squeling like a pig when cold and won't last much longer.
cheers for any help steve

well i had mine done only today morning and the mechanic hgad exactly the same problem. it was weird the way he took it off. he got a torque bar in from the wheel side and told his mate to turn the key for a second so it turns the crank pulley. i was a bit weary about what he was doing but it worked a treat.i was quite shocked.

one eared steve
Mar 22nd, 2009, 16:51
Sounds like a good idea.
He was using the starter motor to turn the engine over while his mate clung on qiti hard i presume due to the pressure.I don't think i will do it that way as a brocken arm is a possibility by doing that.
I am going to have another go in the week sometime when i get the chance to have a day of work (i do have another car so i dont have to do it all in one day) and post again when i see how i get on.
I might try heating thre bolt with a blow gun and a big bit if pipe for leverage.
Hopefully everything else goes ok on this one.
cheers steve

bvs
Mar 22nd, 2009, 18:51
I had this problem on my engine... my neighbour was impressed to see me use a socket and T bar and a three foot length of old exhaust pipe to 'crack' the nut...it worked a treat :D

cheers baz

ammoville
Mar 22nd, 2009, 22:51
Sounds like a good idea.
He was using the starter motor to turn the engine over while his mate clung on qiti hard i presume due to the pressure.I don't think i will do it that way as a brocken arm is a possibility by doing that.
I am going to have another go in the week sometime when i get the chance to have a day of work (i do have another car so i dont have to do it all in one day) and post again when i see how i get on.
I might try heating thre bolt with a blow gun and a big bit if pipe for leverage.
Hopefully everything else goes ok on this one.
cheers steve

trust me it doesnt look as dangerous as it sounds. its easier and you will be able to save the nut like this.